Help Please!

Decorating By Zmama910 Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 4:23pm by shanter

Zmama910 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 10

Does anybody know what the technique on the bottom tier of this cake is called & how do you do it?
Hope the pic shows up- if not this link should redirect you!

Thanks in advance for any help!

9 replies
labmom Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 10

I would love how to do the whole cake.. not just the bottom tier the top tier is awsome too.. yes how are both done if anyone knows..

Torimomma Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:26am
post #3 of 10

I've seen this technique somewhere on here and they referred to them as upside-down ruffles. Try using that to search.

DeniseNH Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:42am
post #4 of 10

If I had to do this cake, I'd make strips from a gumpaste recipe I got with my Silhouette machine and ripple the top edge with a ball tool then airbrush it.

dguerrant Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 2:14am
post #5 of 10

I believe it's piped on with the ruffle tip, except with the bag/tip flipped. for the coloring, start at the top with white, do a few rounds add a drop of color or so, few more ruffles, more color, more ruffles, etc... to get the gradations of color. I WOULD NOT airbrush, it would be too difficult to get the color on each side of the ruffle and the color would gather in the ruffles. hope this helps.

SammieB Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 2:19am
post #6 of 10

I've actually seen several people post about this style. They swear the original decorator used a fondant/gumpaste blend, cut into strips, and used a ball tip to get the ruffle very thin. I would be lost trying it myself.

Zmama910 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 10

ok great! thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 10

The design is by Maggie Austin Cakes

It is thinly rolled strips of fondant/gumpaste ruffled and applied from the top down.

MoreBellaCakes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 10

Southern Living magazine featured the Maggie Austin's ruffle cake. The article stated "[t]iny hydrangea blossoms sit atop layers of buttercream icing, reminiscent of a ruffled bridal gown" So I don't think the ruffles are fondant but buttercream. Would still love to know how this was accomplished.

shanter Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 10

I believe they're fondant or gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%