Which Suppliers In The Uk??

Business By cakesandfaces Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 11:57am by chocolatefudgecakefan

cakesandfaces Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 7

I'm getting stuck on where to get fondant/sugarpaste/marzipan from at a resonable price. I've been trying to get prices down but this hangs me up every time. I already go to cash and carry etc places locally and i get boxes online at a pretty good price but I refuse to pay Lawsons prices for these items but can't see where to get my supplies from.

Never realised how starting this business was going to change my house and overtake my kitchen lol.

Michelle

6 replies
lissyUK Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 7

Hi there!

This seems to be a real issue here- there's no proper wholesaler that doesnt require full on bakery sized orders.

I tend to order from cake-stuff.com when i need fondant and marzipan. I pick up flour, sugar and belgian chocolate for ganache etc at Bookers. Cake-stuff is really competitive for most things and the service is good.

If you find anywhere cheaper let me know!!!

nanefy Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 7

Well this might be of no use to you, but I use a brand called Massa Ticino, which I buy from town and country fine foods. Now it is almost £50 for 7kg, HOWEVER it is simply the most amazing fondant. I roll it super thin so the stuff lasts me ages and even though it's really thin, it doesn't tear, stretch, elephant skin or anything like that. I wouldn't use anything else. If you order it from town and country, you do have to spend a minimum of £80, but the sell loads of other stuff that I buy like flavour compounds so I always easily spend the minimum amount. The fondant has a 1 year shelf life and comes in a pail and wrapped in thick plastic, so storage is excellent.

Anyway, this might not be an answer to your question, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway.

Lemmers Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 7

I was also wondering this as I agree there seems to be a shortage of 'reasonably priced' fondant out there in the UK. So far all of mine has come froma little cake supply shop at £1.50 per 250g thumbsdown.gif

My mother found that her boss who runs the local chippy can get super cheap fondant, but a colleague who does cakes tried it and was very disappointed- proof that if it seems to good to be true, it probably is!

I will try cake-stuff .com though- thanks for the tip!! icon_biggrin.gif

lissyUK Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 7

I placed an order there yesterday and their prices have gone up a little, but they've increased the bulk quantity options. Which means if you're just starting out like me and don't want to buy a huge amount of stock, but want to save a bit, you can buy however much suits!
Their Covapaste is really good. Lovely consistency and it tastes reasonably nice for fondant.

forcupscake Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 7

Have you tried making your own fondant - my sister said she made some which tasted great and she will never buy Dr Oetker again!! Also its a lot cheaper!

chocolatefudgecakefan Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 11:57am
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%