Pastry Student Needs To Interview A Baker / Owner.

Lounge By melmar02 Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 11:49am by melmar02

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone -

I am working towards getting my Pastry Arts degree. I just started the Summer II term this week, and we have a project due this coming Wednesday. I need to conduct a very short, 5 question interview with a baker in the type of shop I would like to work. I would like to one day have either a by appointment only custom cake shop or a small bakery specializing in custom cakes (still working on that business plan!)

I have called the bakeries in my area, and I'm either not getting a call back, or the times they are available are after my project is due.

If you are the owner of a cake shop, and would be willing to answer a few simple questions (nothing about your recipes or your trade secrets), please PM me.

Thank you, and I appreciate your assistance!!
Melisa

6 replies
melmar02 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:54am
post #2 of 7

Hoping someone can help...

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 2:01am
post #3 of 7

Why not post the questions here? I'm sure someone will respond.

melmar02 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:10am
post #4 of 7

The questions I would like to ask are:

1. Where did you work prior to owning your cake decorating business, and what do you feel has given you the best experience?

2. What made you decide it was time to open your business?

3. How many hours do you really work in a week and what does that generally translante to in finished product (number of cakes/product)?

4. What has been your most surprising or unexpected expense?

5. If you could change 1 thing about your business/shop, what would it be?

In addition, I will need to know your name, your business name, type of bakery (cake only, full bakery, specialize in anything?), and your website.

Thank you, and again, I appreciate your help!

melmar02 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:45am
post #5 of 7

I'm still looking for help, and this project is due in less than 2 days.

If you own a cake decorating business (a brick and mortal shop or legal at home) please consider taking a minute to answer the few questions above.

Thank you!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:16am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar02

I have called the bakeries in my area, and I'm either not getting a call back, or the times they are available are after my project is due.

If I were you, I wouldn't have called your local bakeries... I would have shown up unannounced and tried to catch the owner in person over the weekend (especially the ones that didn't call back). It's a lot harder for them to ignore you when you're face to face.

If you haven't already driven to the bakeries today and if you don't get any responses from here, I'd consider making it a priority to plan your trip out to visit them tomorrow. Good luck with your project.

melmar02 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:49am
post #7 of 7

I considered going in person on Saturday, but thought I would be turned away as the shops I wanted to interview would be busy with wedding deliveries. They are both closed on Sunday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%