Wilton Cake Decorating Class

Decorating By Lovelyladylibra Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 11:48pm by NerdyGirl

Lovelyladylibra Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 22

exactly what do you learn in this class. the decorating basics 1st course... i always have problems getting my crusting icing as smooth as it should be. will that teach that hands on? Also the rose, i need hands on help with that also do they show that? thanks

21 replies
augurey Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 22

I just completed my course 1 class at the end of June.

The first class was basically going over basics -- how to bake a cake, how to make the Wilton BC & the different consistencies. We learned about filling a decorating bag and learned to do the star tip. At the end of the class we just watched the instructor show how to ice and smooth a cake.

The second class we brought in our own Wilton BC icing and iced and smooth a cake (which we bring in). The remainder of the class was learning how to do balls/dots and elongated dots. I can't remember the other, but I believe it was some kind of lines/squiggles(?) with the star tip.

The third was mainly learning the different decorating tip: Shells, Rosette, Pompom Flower, Star Flower, and Drop Flower. We also learned how to fill a cupcake (bringing in filling was optional) and how to ice/decorate a cupcake.

Since we ran out of time during the third class, at the last class we learned leaves and the shaggy mum.

The last class we also learned printing/writing and how to do the Ribbon Rose. The instructor demonstrated the Victorian Rose, but we only actually practiced/learned the Ribbon rose. At the end you're supposed to decorate a cake using the different things learned in class or one of the cakes shown in the book.

I found it beneficial. I'm still not brilliant at decorating, but obviously with more practice that'll hopefully change, but it was helpful in learning new things that I'm not sure I would've gotten on my own and was able to fix things that were going wrong for me before.

HTH!

JessiesCreations Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 22

I had already done a 3 tier cake before taking the course and was questioning myself on taking course 1 but I'm glad I took it. I learned alot of basic information on baking, texture, smoothing frosting, flowers as well as learned about Wilton products that I didn't know existed it didnt know how to use. I also enjoyed discussing my mistakes and successes with the instructor and classmates, the whole experience really helped me learn and I feel like I have local help if I ever need it.

Unlimited Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyladylibra

Also the rose, i need hands on help with that also do they show that?

I don't know much about the Wilton courses, but I believe learning to make roses on a stick is easier (and definitely faster). HTH.

Torimomma Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:02am
post #5 of 22

If you want to learn the Wilton rose you need class 2 (Flowers and Cake Design) but they wouldn't let me take 2 without taking Decorating Basics first. I did find it helpful for making smooth buttercream and how icing consistency relates to decorating. I had been making cakes for a few years but I made DRASTIC improvements after my first 2 classes. If you can sign up during a craft store's promotion it is worth the money ( about $50-60 total for the class, kit, extras).

platinumlady Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:25am
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torimomma

If you want to learn the Wilton rose you need class 2 (Flowers and Cake Design) but they wouldn't let me take 2 without taking Decorating Basics first. I did find it helpful for making smooth buttercream and how icing consistency relates to decorating. I had been making cakes for a few years but I made DRASTIC improvements after my first 2 classes. If you can sign up during a craft store's promotion it is worth the money ( about $50-60 total for the class, kit, extras).

You should have been able to skip decorating basics if you had prior decorating skills.

I am a WMI & basically let people know that DB is the starting point ... if they say they have experience then I take them for their word ... I just let them know we won't be going back over any material covered in DB. So you can skip that ... but in your case it seems DB helped out in your case.

Darstus Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 4:45am
post #7 of 22

Even if you have some experience, these classes can really provide you with lots of information. I often had culinary students in my class because they didn't learn some of the basic info at their $60,000/year school icon_smile.gif I always enjoyed having experienced students because of the shared information too.

Yeni131 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 5:18am
post #8 of 22

I started the basic class last mid march. Then 2 weeks after, I took the class 2 flowers and cake design. Then also took the fondant class a week after I got done with class 2. I finished all my classes last June 1st.

I did not know how to decorate a cake before I took the classes and I really did learn a lot. You can check out my cakes and see my progress. I think I am doing good as a newbie.

I think the classes are very helpful and beneficial. i only paid 22.50 per class. icon_smile.gif

Lovelyladylibra Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 12:39pm
post #9 of 22

thank you for the helpful info!!! The classes sounds like they helped EVERYONE so ill definitly be signing up.I cannot wait icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:17pm
post #10 of 22

.........Also the rose, i need hands on help with that also do they show that?..........
........... I believe learning to make roses on a stick is easier (and definitely faster). If you want to give it a try, ...........

It's all in what you are taught! I have had instruction with both the Wilton rose and making them on a stick.....and I *cannot!* master the stick method!.

TexasSugar Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 22

http://www.wilton.com/classes/decorating-basics.cfm

This lists out what all is taught in the first course.

Carolyn_Mac Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 22

I am going to be taking this class in a few weeks and I know the class costs $20 but I was wondering how much the supplies will cost. Im not sure what is best to get for this class. Please help. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:01pm
post #13 of 22

The course Kit at Michaels runs $35, but you can always use a coupon on it.

This is the list of stuff I hand out to my students the first night....

Decorating Basics Student Kit or Wilton Ultimate Cake Decorating Set
Meringue Powder
Decorating Bags (Plastic or Featherweight)

Piping Gel
Icing colors
Couplers
Additional Tips 18 and 12
Flower Lifters
Turn Table

Cake Leveler
Cake Lifter
Cake Boards
Cake boxes/Cake Carrier

The top set are in my opinion must haves. The middle group are things that make life a lot easier, but aren't a must. The bottom are products I suggest, again aren't a most have, but nice to have to use.

http://michaels.p.delivery.net/m/p/mich/cpn/coupon.asp?mid=1101127364&cid=13074558912&version=US0714810

There is a 25% off entire purchase, including sale items, and a 50% off one baking item coupon in the link above.

Unlimited Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:45pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

.........Also the rose, i need hands on help with that also do they show that?..........
........... I believe learning to make roses on a stick is easier (and definitely faster). If you want to give it a try, ...........

It's all in what you are taught! I have had instruction with both the Wilton rose and making them on a stick.....and I *cannot!* master the stick method!.

I'll rephrase what I believeIF you can learn to make roses on a stick, it's easier because you'll save so much time making them faster!

At first, I taught myself how to make roses on the flathead rose nail. I wish I had first learned to make them on a stick, because the transition would have been easier if I had not needed to "unlearn" the first way, and could have been more productive with it from the start.

Carolyn_Mac Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:27pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

The course Kit at Michaels runs $35, but you can always use a coupon on it.

This is the list of stuff I hand out to my students the first night....

Decorating Basics Student Kit or Wilton Ultimate Cake Decorating Set
Meringue Powder
Decorating Bags (Plastic or Featherweight)

Piping Gel
Icing colors
Couplers
Additional Tips 18 and 12
Flower Lifters
Turn Table

Cake Leveler
Cake Lifter
Cake Boards
Cake boxes/Cake Carrier

The top set are in my opinion must haves. The middle group are things that make life a lot easier, but aren't a must. The bottom are products I suggest, again aren't a most have, but nice to have to use.

http://michaels.p.delivery.net/m/p/mich/cpn/coupon.asp?mid=1101127364&cid=13074558912&version=US0714810

There is a 25% off entire purchase, including sale items, and a 50% off one baking item coupon in the link above.

Thank you so much for helping me. I defiantly don't feel so lost. I am so excited about taking my first class! My mother used to have a home business decorating cakes when I was little so I've been around it some but have no other experience than that. I cant wait to show off my new skills once I acquire them. Thank you again for your answers. Greatly appreciated!

TexasSugar Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 22

You are welcome. If you have any more questions, just let me know. icon_smile.gif

leafO Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:39pm
post #17 of 22

Wow, Thanks for the coupon link! Can they be used together or do they have to be used separately? thanks!

TexasSugar Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:42pm
post #18 of 22

From my understanding, as long as the coupons have different bar codes, which the ones for different percentages off should, can be used in the same transaction.

Twice last week I used a 50% and a 40% off, plus my employee discount, so I know the computer system will do it.

Some stores are more relaxed than others when it comes to the usage of coupons, so you can always ask them to make sure.

leafO Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:04pm
post #19 of 22

Thanks! I'm really excited to use them icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:06pm
post #20 of 22

icon_smile.gif

Lovelyladylibra Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:30pm
post #21 of 22

OHHH THANKS FOR THE COUPONS

NerdyGirl Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:48pm
post #22 of 22

At Michaels, at least the one I learned at, you get at least a 10% discount for class supplies.

Another thing about the Wilton classes: sharing information - in person - with classmates and the instructor. Little things like that were AWESOME, not to mention priceless.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%