Boxed Cake Mix Vs Scratch Cakes...?

Baking By Lovelyladylibra Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 11:37pm by Lovelyladylibra

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 15

To you which one is better? Ive been trying scratch cake mix after scratch cake mix and Ive had NONE come out as moist as a boxed cake mix. Ive used old family recipes, Ive even used cake recipes from here (the ones with ALOT of votes and praise) and they just always seem dry. A boxed cake mix I can doctor it a bit and have the best cake ever. But I feel as if I cheating people who pay for my cupcakes (I never sell my cakes dont think im good enough yet).
What do you do? Do you think its okay to sell boxed cakes? Should I charge less?

i hope i posted in the correct area... icon_redface.gif

14 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 15

This topic has been posted hundreds of times and usually degenerates into a fight. Please use the search function and read the opinions that are already here on the Forums

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

This topic has been posted hundreds of times and usually degenerates into a fight. Please use the search function and read the opinions that are already here on the Forums

We need to get a "like" button or an "agree" button, cause I would be using it here.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:56am
post #5 of 15

Personally, and as a customer, I would feel cheated if I ordered cupcakes from someone only to find they were using a box.

cupncake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupncake1 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:57am
post #6 of 15

Box mix works for me, I just dont have the kitchen space to have tons of different ingrediants for all the flavors of cake people ask for, I dont follow the recipe and thats what I tell people only if they ask, no one has ever complained

jhndavid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhndavid Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 8:57am
post #7 of 15

Dont feel in words yaar... Peoples and kids love cup cakes if u r nt gud in p[reparing tat pls don sell tat. It ill spoil ur shop name too.........

debbek152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbek152 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:24am
post #8 of 15

Not again! icon_sad.gif

Lovelyladylibra Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks, but the search system wasn't really giving me anything just a few that went off topic on the 2nd page. @Cupcations thanks for the links my search didn't turn any of those up. @jhndavid I have no clue what your saying...

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 12:45pm
post #10 of 15

I have also had problems with the search.
It brings up results and then says 404 error.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:13pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyladylibra

To you which one is better? Ive been trying scratch cake mix after scratch cake mix and Ive had NONE come out as moist as a boxed cake mix. Ive used old family recipes, Ive even used cake recipes from here (the ones with ALOT of votes and praise) and they just always seem dry. A boxed cake mix I can doctor it a bit and have the best cake ever. But I feel as if I cheating people who pay for my cupcakes (I never sell my cakes dont think im good enough yet).
What do you do? Do you think its okay to sell boxed cakes? Should I charge less?

There is no right answer to this over argued debate...it's a personal preferance. Use what works for you. I'm an exclusive scratch baker and that's what works for me.

If ALL the recipes you've tried are dry chances are you're overbaking or trying bad recipes. I tend to lean towards baking too long since they've all been dry.

By the way...what's a scratch cake mix? I've been baking for 40 yrs and I've never heard of it.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:

Thanks, but the search system wasn't really giving me anything just a few that went off topic on the 2nd page. @Cupcations thanks for the links my search didn't turn any of those up. @jhndavid I have no clue what your saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetsharon

I have also had problems with the search.
It brings up results and then says 404 error.

The best way to search is by using google.... CC search engine has been down for a while now
Type whatever you want using google then just add "cakecentral" to it... It works like charm thumbs_up.gif

HTH icon_smile.gif

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:02pm
post #13 of 15

I agree with Cupcations....you have to search with google. The search on CC is pointless..
It is no wonder why the same questions get asked over and over. I say... unless they get it fixed then ask whatever you want....if others don't like seeing the same questions, they don't have to read them.

OP....I wonder the same thing, many say not to undercut other bakeries because it's not fair.... BUT
if you are not as experienced and you don't bake from scratch....can you justify charging what the bakeries charge that have more experience and do bake from scratch?????
I also feel your pain about scratch baking, I can bake some things from scratch, but white or yellow cake...not so great!

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:32pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:

If you like the results of doctored mixes--more importantly if your customers like them--use them. If you feel like you are cheating and you cannot bring yourself to let it go, then continue to search for recipes and read up on principles of scratch baking. For instance if you are baking your cakes until a testor comes out clean your cake is already overbaked and will be dry).

While I believe scratch recipes are better than box mixes, that does not translate into a moral judgement--that is I do not view those who use them a cheaters.

Lovelyladylibra Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:37pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake

Quote:

If you like the results of doctored mixes--more importantly if your customers like them--use them. If you feel like you are cheating and you cannot bring yourself to let it go, then continue to search for recipes and read up on principles of scratch baking. For instance if you are baking your cakes until a testor comes out clean your cake is already overbaked and will be dry).

While I believe scratch recipes are better than box mixes, that does not translate into a moral judgement--that is I do not view those who use them a cheaters.

I think that is why my carrot cake i did the other day came out dry. I waited until the stick came out clean. i just made a bunch of cake pops with it instead. ill get the hang of it hopefully but until then ill just doctor my cake mixes. thank you. I don't change much when i do cupcakes anyway, they probably round out to about 75cents each. but learning to bake from scratch is pretty pricey lol. And i get upset alot over ruined cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%