Cake Dummies For Unusual Shaped Cakes

Decorating By allaboutcakeuk Updated 17 Jul 2011 , 3:07pm by allaboutcakeuk

allaboutcakeuk Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 6

Hi I've been asked to do a cake for a photoshoot and i don't want to use real cake as it's going to be moved around a lot and travel a distance. Can anyone tell me please what is best to use if you want to do a shape that doesn't come as a standard dummy ? thank you

5 replies
platinumlady Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 6

At the local craft stores you can find a Styrofoam shaper/carver....You plug it in & it lets you carve the Styrofoam to the shape you want

Goonergirl Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 6

I just made a cake for a photoshoot. It was a stacked pillow cake. The pillow dummies weren't quite the shape I had in mind, so I took an x-acto knife to them. After I got the rough shape I wanted, I used sandpaper to smooth them. I was really pleased with the result. The mess on the other hand was horrendous.
I also had a plan B though. In one of my Cake Central magazines, It explained how to make your own dummies from edible materials. I was going to try that if all else failed.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 6

And after you carve it, you can use a sanding block to smooth it out.

platinumlady Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 6

The tool I'm referring to doesn't need any sanding after use...the heat smooths it out

Here's a link to what they look like... these are the pricier ones...but you can get them for as low as $20

allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for your help - is there a link at all to the CC article about making your own dummies. I'm in the UK so we don't get a lot of these types of equipment over here icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%