Sticking Roll Out Icing To Cardboard!

Decorating By SteveJ Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 2:33pm by SteveJ

SteveJ Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 6

i want to coat a piece of cardboard with roll out icing (sugarpaste). what would you suggest? water, royal icing or just jam?!

5 replies
shaekae81 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 6

I use piping gel....but I normally do small things, not the entire board.

I would think Royal icing would cause lumps under the fondant (sugarpaste).

I am interested to read the other responses though.

gramof5 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 6

Ditto the piping gel, either the CK brand that comes in a tube, or any of the brands that come in a small jar, but NOT the Wilton in a tube (too runny).[/b]

SteveJ Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 6

hmmm...i haven't got any piping gel! i've got a bit of buttercream icing...perhaps i could spread that nice and thin? i could also make some glace icing out of icing sugar and water but i guess that will make the board go soggy!

shaekae81 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 6

is it regular cardboard...like from a cut up box?? or is is slick on one side (like the Wilton cake boards)?

If it's slick and treated, you'll be fine....straight dry cardboard and I think you're right about it going soggy...but I think that will be true of anything you put on it.

If it's not treated, you might consider covering it with contact paper before you cover it with the fondant.

SteveJ Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 6

Just thought i'd let people know what i did in the end. it was quite thick card (nothing special or specially designed for cake making)...about 3mm in thickness; needed to be scored to bend it. it wasn't treated or shiny on either side (although when i brushed it with water it didn't absorb it straight away!

The buttercream that i used stuck it to the cake like glue! (much better than the royal icing i tried) and after brushing with water, the rolled out sugar paste stuck to the board quite well too (i recon it would stay on even if held upside down!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%