Filling For Ball Pan?

Decorating By shaekae81 Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 2:04pm by shaekae81

shaekae81 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 9:58am
post #1 of 7

Has anyone ever torted the ball pan cakes to put filling in between the layers? Did it alter the shape of the cake?

Mom of birthday boy is requesting filling for the Death Star (ball pan) part of the cake. Filling is my choice....it will probably be white "chocolate" ganache....but I'm leary of torting the ball and causing it to be mishaped.

How would you go about doing this?

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 7

You can use a round tip on a piping bag and just poke randomly into the cake and squeeze frosting in. I've done that before with the wonder mold (the barbie dress pan) and it didn't distort the cake.

I think torting the ball pan cake would definitely alter the shape.

shaekae81 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 7

brilliant idea! Thank you!

all4cake Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 7

I split and fill cakes made using the ball pan. It may be an illusion but, they seem to be more round. When I first made them, I only put icing between the two halves but, when I was finished icing, they all seemed not so round.

EmilyJo9 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 7

I have torted the ball pan cake before. It was for a graduation cap and it didn't alter the shape at all really.

nanascakes Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 7

It won't be a noticable change. I would use slightly thinner layers of filling than normal, but still use enough that you can taste/see it.

shaekae81 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 7

I used the poking method this time, but it's good to know others have torted with good results! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%