Is Butter Ok?

Baking By mo63 Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 6:15am by mo63

mo63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo63 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 7:56am
post #1 of 6

I want to make the oreo cupcakes and I don't have vegetable oil. Is it ok to use melted butter instead? Also the recipe I have calls for breadflour but is self raising/all purpose flour the same?

5 replies
jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 6

Vegetable oil will give different result to butter even if melted and bread flour is very different to self raising. There are a lot of recipes that uou can google for oreo cupcakes that use butter and self raising flour though thumbs_up.gif

mo63 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyscakes

Vegetable oil will give different result to butter even if melted and bread flour is very different to self raising. There are a lot of recipes that uou can google for oreo cupcakes that use butter and self raising flour though thumbs_up.gif

Thank you for your reply. I decided just to go ahead and use the melted butter and SR flour and there was no disaster haha. The only slight problem was that i looked at the amount of sugar in the recipe and decided it looked an awful lot so cut 1 and half ounces off. Big mistake because of the strong bitterness of the cocoa !!! But I made up for it with the oreo buttercream topping. They were very nice anyway. And after all the worrying about converting the US measurments to UK, there was no need.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:58am
post #4 of 6

I use this recipe for oreo cupcakes:

http://annies-eats.net/2010/06/02/cookies-and-cream-cupcakes/

It uses butter not oil and it's yummy!

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:27am
post #5 of 6

I've used melted shortening in a pinch in case anyone else runs in to a similar issue...

mo63 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:15am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osgirl

I use this recipe for oreo cupcakes:

http://annies-eats.net/2010/06/02/cookies-and-cream-cupcakes/

It uses butter not oil and it's yummy!

This recipe looks great. Gonna give this one a try at the weekend. I tried the one with a chocolate base originally, never thought about a vanilla base. Thanks for the link. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%