Fondant Bow - Cost

Decorating By Nazarine Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 6:53am by Candice56

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:33am
post #1 of 7

Long story short. A neighbor and I were chatting about wedding cakes. Her daughter recently married and they were shocked at the price of "extras" on the cake. They charged her almost $200 for a fondant bow. I couldn't help it. I asked to see a picture. Yup. It was a fondant bow - no imprint, no pearls, no embellishment at all. It was just a stand loop bow. Now, I don't have a cake business, but this killed me. Do people really pay that? And here I was thinking $20 was too much to ask.

6 replies
pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:42am
post #2 of 7

it better have been a big a$$ bow for $200. that thing should have covered the entire cake!! thats a little ridiculous!

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:52am
post #3 of 7

Naw I can't see paying or charging $200 for a fondant bow...At $200 that bow better cut the cake for me as well...light up do a song & dance... Wow

Where there other "extras" besides the bow that combined came up to $200.

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 6:02am
post #4 of 7

The $200 was just for the bow. They also charged her extra (per slice) because the cakes were square; not round. Then there was another charge because she wanted them "stacked". Stacked as opposed to what? 2 separate cakes? I'm not even sure what the alternative was. Wound up being a $1000 cake and it only fed half the guests.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 6:35am
post #5 of 7

Wow that is crazy. It takes me a couple of minutes to make a bow, and probably 50 cents for the fondant. How could you ever justify that amount. I can't believe someone would pay that. Was the decorator famous?

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 6:46am
post #6 of 7

Wow... that's too crazy. The extras make no sense. I hate your friend got taken advantage of.

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 6:53am
post #7 of 7

Your neighbor really got taken to the cleaners not to be rude but did she think to question that huge cost for just a bow? We all learn the hard way at some time or another bummer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%