Decorating By cole10 Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 3:15am by all4cake

cole10 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 1:46am
post #1 of 7

I would like to start using piping on some of my cakes. I would like to know what to use (any recipes would be appreciated) and what to do. In my mind, I think for the look that I want, I'm going to need a very small piping bag. But, I may be wrong. I usually don't reference things on the cake shows, but that what I see them using to get the results that I want. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

Not so much the pattern, but the small detailed by piping.

Thanks in advance!!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
HamSquad Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 2:01am
post #2 of 7

jbarret573 instructions listed further down under picture:

Thank-you! I've been trying to work on my piping skills. This is the second cake I've piped. I used a wilton tip 3, and the royal icing was a thinner consistency.

Is this the info you are looking for? HTH

cole10 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 2:14am
post #3 of 7

Yes!! Thanks...guess I should read more! Haha

cole10 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 2:17am
post #4 of 7

DO they make a small piping bag? I don't like using those triangles...

kakeladi Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 2:38am
post #5 of 7

The smallest bag made (that I know of) is an 8".
You really need to use a triangle. Fold it in 1/2 along the long edge & cut; then do that again so you have 4 small triangles. It's not all that hard to roll them into a cone once you get how to do it. The smaller ones are easier to handle both for rolling and piping.

Also, use a small tip - go down to a #2, then after you have good control w/that try a 1. You will be amazed at the difference those sizes give. It all depends on how much pressure you use and how thin your icing is. You don't want it so thin that it spreads and ruins the piping but thin enough that lots of piping won't hurt your hand icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 3:01am
post #6 of 7

If you're able to find them, the triangle treat bags (ones used for those cocoa cones...I found them in two different sizes when Ben Franklin store was in our area) work well for thinned icing and just a tip...no coupler(they're so small, the coupler seems quite bulky and annoying in them)

all4cake Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 3:15am
post #7 of 7

The small ones I'd gotten were no more than 6" from tip to back end of bag. I don't know what, exactly, they were produce for 'cause they were soooo little. I got them for the small icing stuff...well, and 'cause I'd not seen them before and thought they were cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%