Anyone Know Where To Get These?

Decorating By stacey71 Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 12:39am by all4cake

stacey71 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 14

I'm looking for large paper flowers like in this photo to use on my bundt cake for my mother in law's birthday. Anyone know where I can get something like this? Also, does the paper flower get messed up with frosting being in the middle of the bundt cake like that?

Thanks
stacey

13 replies
stacey71 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 14

darn, i dont think its letting me add a photo...anyhow, its like the big paper flowers they use at nothingbundtcakes.com

instant-gratificaketion Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 14

http : / / ojinaga . com / storeitems / flowers /

Take out the spaces and try that site. They're Mexican paper flowers, I think that's what you're looking for, even if you don't get them from the site I posted. She even says she made them for a wedding caterer, so I assume they're the ones people put on cakes...

HTH

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 14

We used to make flowers like that. I found some instructions for how to do it: http://madincrafts.blogspot.com/2009/11/mexican-paper-flowers.html

I would guess tissue paper would bleed into the icing, so maybe a wax paper circle between the tissue paper and the icing would work.

gscout73 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 14

Wow. I learned to make those in elementary school in San Diego county back in 60s'. Never called them Mexican flowers though as we were making many different styles of tissue paper flowers. lol go figure.

These we just called carnations.

instant-gratificaketion Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 14

I was just referencing the website I linked to as far as what the site called them. I remember making them too...and I definitely remember that as soon as the glue touched them, the color from the paper started to run all over the place...not sure what material the bundt cake peeps are using.

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 14

We called them Mexican flowers too...used to have to make tons of them to decorate floats for church for Fiesta.

instant-gratificaketion Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 14

FIESTA! OLE! icon_wink.gif

tokazodo Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

Wow. I learned to make those in elementary school in San Diego county back in 60s'. Never called them Mexican flowers though as we were making many different styles of tissue paper flowers. lol go figure.

These we just called carnations.

Wow! A blast from the past! Graduating class of '79!
We just called them, "Tissue Paper Flowers"

Life was so much simpler then!

infinitsky Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 14

Try martha's site you will find templates and tutorials. HTH icon_smile.gif

KakeMistress Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 14

LOL I remember making thoes when I was in elementary school.

Narie Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 12:12am
post #12 of 14

I made a bunch of these to decorate my first Christmas tree in the early 70's. I had purchased a rather sad looking tree with a wooden stand for $4.00 - which blew my mad money. (In those days beginning teachers were generally broke.) I had brightly colored tissue paper and pipe cleaners - teachers often own strange things. And I made a buch of flowers to put on the tree. My landlady felt sorry for me and my poor tree so she lent me a string of lights and another teacher lent me a silver garland after she heard me laughingly describe my attempts at Christmas cheer. I suppose it was pretty sad but I liked it. And all the colors were cheerful if not very Christmasy

gscout73 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 12:32am
post #13 of 14

Thanx for the post. I haven't thought about those in years!!! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

all4cake Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 12:39am
post #14 of 14

Martha Stewart has templates and instructions for various ones. http://www.marthastewart.com/search/apachesolr_search/paper%20flowers

There's also videos on youtube for making several different ones, if you decide to make them yourself and you're a visual learner. They're interesting to watch even if you don't plan on making them. Just search tissue paper flowers or paper flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%