Ready To Scream - Can't Get Red Of Course

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 12:27am by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 14

I've used all my wiltons red, plus some food coloring, and started with 2 pks of black cherry kool-aid in the water. And it looks dark orange. Oh - I also added a bunch of blue as well.

I only have a JoAnn's near here - what should I do? They want dark red flowers - which I only found out last night. The original plan was purple. icon_sad.gif

HELP!!

13 replies
nicunurse Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 14

Wildgirl, what are you trying to make red? Icing or fondant? For red icing, start with pink and use wilton no taste red. If you are trying to get white fondant red, make mmf but add cocoa powder to start then add red. HTH

SammieB Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 14

Fondant, buttercream, what?

Wildgirl Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 14

Royal icing to start, then buttercream. I need it for lettering and flowers.

I am heading to JoAnn's now - is it too cheesy to mix red silk flowers with white buttercream? Probably will look stupid.... I really wanted to do the ri lettering on waxed paper over computer letters and transfer to cake - it's all set up and waiting for the ri.... I hate the thought of doing it freehand!!

Why - every step of this cake has been a disaster! I can't imagine it finally working out. At least the cake tastes good, I have a good filling (all after much trial and error)

I'm really discouraged!

Wildgirl Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 14

I am heading to JoAnn's now - is it too cheesy to mix red silk flowers with white buttercream? Probably will look stupid.... I really wanted to do the ri lettering on waxed paper over computer letters and transfer to cake - it's all set up and waiting for the ri.... I hate the thought of doing it freehand!!

Why - every step of this cake has been a disaster! I can't imagine it finally working out. At least the cake tastes good, I have a good filling (all after much trial and error)

I'm really discouraged!

Wildgirl Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 14

I'm really discouraged!

Wildgirl Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 14

I'm really discouraged!

cakestyles Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 14

When is the cake due? Do you have time to mix this now and let it sit a few hours or even better, overnight?

It will darken after it sits a few hours.

cakestyles Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 14

red and blue make purple so don't add blue. You can add a bit of black to darken it but just a little bit at a time.

Wildgirl Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 14

I'm really discouraged!

Wildgirl Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 14

I'm sorry the last post multiplied - I kept getting an error so I thought it wasn't going through.

Just got back - our JoAnn's stinks. No red. No blue. A burgandy and a rose (wilton colors)

And I wasn't going to pay $7.50 (w/coupon) for some silk roses that I think are gross.

So. They will get white roses. I still don't know what to do about the lettering. I suppose I should try again with the burgandy, but I'm sure it won't work.

cakestyles Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:33pm
post #12 of 14

Do you have any premade red fondant?

Or you could make candy clay with red candy melts and make the roses/lettering out of that instead of buttercream and royal.

I would check back on the buttercream you colored earlier because it may end up being red enough in a few hours. I've had that happen many many times before.

CWR41 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:40pm
post #13 of 14

You should be able to get liquid red food coloring at any grocery store, dollar store, or Walmart, like McCormick's brand. If it thins your icing down too much, just add more powdered sugar.

Wildgirl Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 12:27am
post #14 of 14

Well, it's now a sort of lightish burgandy - not TOO bad considering. I did do the letters and I think I'll try some roses. Not the color I was wanting, but I hope it will work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%