Maybe Over Thinking It, But...

Decorating By platinumlady Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 3:08am by platinumlady

platinumlady Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 5

Are kids 1st birthday cakes made for the kids or for the adults... icon_lol.gif I'm going through the gallaries to get some ideas & see some beautiful cakes...& it got me to thinking ...should I do a cake just for the kids..or one that will catch the eye of the parents for future business? icon_lol.gif

I'm laughing because I'm like both. This cake is for some really close friends..might as well be family...but there will be some there that don't know me. Am I wrong for thinking this way icon_redface.gif Either way it goes I will be making a smash cake. But why & I feeling guilty icon_twisted.gif ? l0ls

4 replies
dmo4ab Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 5

Well, the one year old won't exactly be able to call you and ask you to make next year's cake....but the parents could!

Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 5

I'd say you have no reason to feel guilty, platinumlady. I think, if you're trying to grow a business, it's legitimate to think of this sort of thing every time you present a cake. I know I do. I think in this case it depends on who'll be there to celebrate with you. Will there be many small children or parents of small children who would be interested in cakes for their own wee ones' birthdays? Or will it be mostly adults who have come to ooh and aah over the birthday child? In my experience, one-year-olds don't care too much one way or the other what the cake is like. They mostly like the colors, the noise, the paper and bows that they can tear up and the fact that they're getting a lot of attention that day. And you've already decided to make a smash cake, so the child's cake needs will be taken care of. About the design of the main cake, I'd say take your "audience" into account.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 5

My suggestion, is if this is a cake for your own kid, start small. Because every year you will want to do something bigger and better and if you start small, you work your way up to the really big, really cool stuff later on.

I started making my nephew 3D cakes around age 4 I think. After a while it gets hard to try to top it.

platinumlady Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 3:08am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone...these are great perspectives .... Helps a lot

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%