Cricut Cake Question - Time For Honesty

Decorating By KayMc Updated 30 Jul 2011 , 2:28am by cb3

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:21pm
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmo

I bought mine secondhand from a gal who wasn't interested in taking the time to learn how to use it properly.

I've been stalking craiglist hoping to find a similar person that just wants it gone! LOL!

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:19pm
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB4

I can manage to get things cut out but my biggest challenge is then getting them off the mat icon_sad.gif I have yet to figure out how to do that nicely.

If I put too much Crisco on the mat that it comes off easily the fondant slides around when cutting. If I don't put enough on it falls apart when I try to take it off.

I have yet to use it while making the cake. I can use it for pieces that need to dry but not ones that need to bend. That's my challenge to myself this weekend - use it for part of my own birthday cake!

Just throw it in the freezer for a bit and you should be able to work with it just fine. Once it's chilled I just slide my tappered spatula under it to get it off. It warms up a bit with yours hands and you can shape it to your cake. This is what I do and it works great! Good luck!

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:34pm
post #33 of 40

I used the sugar sheets for practice the very first time out the shoot. They cut the small stuff great. Tasted kind of like rice candy which wasn't bad.
I can cut larger stuff by using half gum and half fondant. So far I like mine

PeggyMichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeggyMichel Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:48pm
post #34 of 40

I too have had great success with my cricut, although it takes some trial and error with each cake. The consistancy of the gumpaste is critical. One more note, SCAL and MTC no longer work with the cricut due to licencing issues. This is such a shame because it opened the possibilities endlessly. If there is another software that will work with the cricut, I would love to hear about it!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:29pm
post #35 of 40

Peggy, SCAL and MTC do still work. You may not be able to purchase NEW programs, I don't know. But as long as you don't update your Cricut machine, you can still use your SCAL and MTC. I have SCAL and SCAL2, and they both still work fine with my Cricut.

aguast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aguast Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 6:00pm
post #36 of 40

sorry, but what is SCAL and MTC? I have a cricut and would love the idea of using my computer to get ideas from?

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 6:10pm
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB4

I can manage to get things cut out but my biggest challenge is then getting them off the mat icon_sad.gif I have yet to figure out how to do that nicely.

If I put too much Crisco on the mat that it comes off easily the fondant slides around when cutting. If I don't put enough on it falls apart when I try to take it off.

I have yet to use it while making the cake. I can use it for pieces that need to dry but not ones that need to bend. That's my challenge to myself this weekend - use it for part of my own birthday cake!

Just throw it in the freezer for a bit and you should be able to work with it just fine. Once it's chilled I just slide my tappered spatula under it to get it off. It warms up a bit with yours hands and you can shape it to your cake. This is what I do and it works great! Good luck!

Thanks so much for the tip. I'll try that icon_smile.gif

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 1:38am
post #38 of 40

You know there are other machines on the market that cuts gumpaste and icing sheets besides that Bug. Linda McClure who invented the process and was burnt by the bug company now uses a Silhouette cutter, and you can use third party software to make your own designs and not have to buy expensive carts for heaven sake. Also a brand new cutter to be released very soon from the KNK people is the Zing. These machines leave the bug in the dust! In case you would like to look at what Linda does with the Silhouette here is her link.
http://www.creativedesignsforcakes.blogspot.com/

scruffyandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scruffyandstuff Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:23am
post #39 of 40

Not sure of this was already posted, but I live in TN and Big Lots is selling the red Cricut cake machine for $140. I was totally bummed since I paid full price last summer on HSN.

cb3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb3 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:28am
post #40 of 40

I just got my cricut and am so frustrated that there are no longer programs compatible with it. I know the SCAL 2 would work, but cannot find a site to download it from. Only SCAL 3. Does anyone know a way to get a precious version that will work with my new cricut?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%