Seasoning "the Mat"

Decorating By Kristy838383 Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 4:24am by platinumlady

Kristy838383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristy838383 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 4

I was just wondering if anybody that has has success with using "The Mat" could tell me how much to use when seasoning it for the first time. I had read some other posts and discussions about it am I'm a little worried about using too much and not wiping enough off to get a great result. It seems some people have had trouble with getting it right in the beginning and it turns them off it all together.
Thank you!

3 replies
Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 4

Sweetwise has a youtube channel and one of her videos is on this topic. I use the may all the time and love it. I rub enough shortenings on the mat to cover it and then take a paper towel and wipe it off. I have had a few instances where my fondant stuck but it was because my fondant was too soft. HTH!!!

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 4:09am
post #3 of 4

I just got "the mat" a few days ago and used it yesterday for the first time. I rubbed the shortening on very thinly, placed the other sheet on top, pressed it down, then separated them and then used a paper towel to rub off some of what was on the sheet. It worked beautifully! Including kneading time, rolling, applying, and smoothing I was able to do a four square tiers, 6, 8, 10 12, and 14 and three round tiers 6, 8, and 10 in about 90 minutes. LOVE "the Mat!"

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 4:24am
post #4 of 4

I have never had a problem with the mat. I watched the video before I ordered it & when I season it I use about the size of a nickel (shortening) & spread it all over the mat...making sure I see no white residue. I ending up buying 2 more. One for Home & two for the Kitchen

Here's the link to the video:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%