Cake Boards, Circles, Drums, Etc...

Decorating By theCword Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 4:57pm by CWR41

theCword Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 2

Hello! I've searched on the topic a bit but wanted a fresh response.

Am I correct that a cake board is the cardboard that the cake sits on? Cake circles are the same thing?

And cake drums are apparently something much thicker for heavier cakes?

If so, I used my cake board wrong last time. It was only a 9 in double layer so it was fine but for stacked cakes, I will have to use the right ones.
I bought a cake board, the silver pretty one that has a "ruffle" edge. It was a 14 I believe, or a 12 inch... anywho, I put my 9 inch cake on it. Since it was my hubby's b-day cake I just set it in a plastic covered cake container. The party was on a boat and there is NO way the cake would had sat pretty on there. It was moving with the water and also when someone jumped from the top floor!

So apparently it worked but that is not the correct way? It "should" had been sitting on a 9 inch cake board/circle then on something else??

Also, has anybody tried using coroplast for cake drums?? I have a whole sheet and a half that I bought last year for my guinea pigs C&C cage. It's very sturdy and I guess I'd just wrap it in pretty foil? It's also a cheap alternative for boards. I believe my huge sheet cost around $15!?!

1 reply
CWR41 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 2

You are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCword

So apparently it worked but that is not the correct way? It "should" had been sitting on a 9 inch cake board/circle then on something else??

The cake really only needs to be on its own cake circle if you're transporting it to another presentation board or platter that you didn't ice in on, or if you're transporting it to another presentation board or surface that isn't food safe so that it doesn't have direct prolonged contact with that surface.

If using corrugated plastic for cake drums, be sure to arrange the layers so the lines are running in opposite directions for added strength. Yes, wrap with fanci foil or food safe materials.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%