How Many Layers In Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By dchinda Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 10:24pm by dchinda

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a simple but elegant wedding cake for next week & was curious how many layers most people use on each wedding cake tier? My cakes are usually only two 2" layers for each tier. If I make each tier with three 2" layers, will it make any difference in the servings since it just increases the height of the cake? Thnanks for all your help!

3 replies
pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 4

i do all my wedding cake tiers with 1 3" layer cake cut into 3 layers so each layer is 1". Then each layer of filling is about 1/2", so I end up with a 4" tall cake. it shouldnt affect the number of servings, just the size of the serving

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchinda

If I make each tier with three 2" layers, will it make any difference in the servings since it just increases the height of the cake?

No, not if it's cut and served as one extra tall cake.

According to Wilton, 3"-6" tall yields the same servings: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

The 6" tall slices won't fit on a normal-sized dessert plate. If you split/torte the layers and used a board in the middle at 3", it would serve double with 3" tall serving sizes.

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the quick responses. I will just stick with my two 2" layers for each tier. I didn't even think about the slices not fitting on the dessert plates. Thank you for pointing that out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%