Much Needed Advice On What To Do!

Business By KellyJo3 Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 8:01pm by cakestyles

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 12:59pm
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJo3

I posted my story this morning and for those who didn't read here is the link: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7162111-.html#7162111

This is the story continued: The lady picked up her over 200 mini cupcakes and 6" cake this morning and I showed her a couple boxes of the cupcakes and cake ans she was very pleased and excited. I even gave her a coupon for 2 free dozen cupcakes. She was off and on her way and I was relieved!

Well that is until about an hour later when I was shopping at the grocery store and I got a message on my phone from her about how ugly the cupcakes were in the other boxes that she didn't see. All of the boxes were the same. There may have been a couple that fell over or something, but I did not see that when they left my possession.

She then stated that she would only be able to use the cake for her party and that she could have done a much better job then me and would not be using my bakery again because she was out 200.00 now.

So now what I am wonering is, what do I do? Do I offer her a full refund if she saw about half of them before she left and seemed very pleased with them then or do I offer her a discount? I do have a pic of them on my facebook page if you would like to check them out t give abetter opinion: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sweetie-Sweet-Cakes/146139402101434

I just really do not know what to do because she was happy with them when she left and usually I would have charged her 400.00 for the lot (2.00/cupcake), but because of my previous mistake I only charged her the 200.00 she already paid and threw in the 6" cake for free along with 2 free dozen cupcakes in a coupon. Thanks for any advice and please be kind it's been a really rough week. Thanks.

Your original post is where you wrote that you showed her only "a couple" of the boxes, which to me I took to mean 2 boxes.

I know you made a mistake when you quoted her price and I "get" that, I really do. We've all done it. BUT it's not the client's fault when we misquote our prices and therefore just as much care should go into the order. If only 2 boxes had inserts that would equal 24 cupcakes being in inserts. This means 176 cupcakes were just placed in those other 3 large boxes, left to tip over and roll into each other.

I believe the client, I think she was unable to use those cupcakes by the time she got them to the venue or place of the event.

Hopefully for you, she'll except your offer and move on.

Good luck!

KellyJo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyJo3 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:25pm
post #32 of 53

umm ok sorry I did not say exactly 3 boxes in my orginal post. yes there were 24 cupcakes in the small boxes which left over 176. There was not exactly the same cupcakes in each big box, which meant there was over 58 in each big box. 24 and 58 equals 82. I do not know the final count of the cupcakes I made, but I know it was well over 200 since I was trying to make ammends to her for my original petit four mess up, and because I wanted to make sure each big box was filled all the way so that the cupcakes could "hold eachother up."

I know that they were not sitting in cupcakes holders but unless she dropped the box, most of them should have been fine. I can see maybe a few of them might have gotten messed up from falling over, but really the boxes were so filled (Not too much to squish them) that it would be almost impossible for them to fall on eachother.

So basically what you are saying is you think that every single cupcake in the other boxes were destroyed enough that she could not serve them at her party? She actually did not tell me that they were destoyed. She said that they were ugly. No mention that they fell over or anything. She basically just told me my original work without any mess ups in the boxes she did not see was ugly.

Oh and might I add she came to pick up the cupcakes with a baker friend of hers that came from out of state, who loved the cupcakes too. So I am wondering if maybe that may have played into this whole thing as well. hmmmm

KellyJo3 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 1:40pm
post #33 of 53

Also if the problem was that I used the big boxes and they all fell over in the big boxes why did she only mention the boxes she hadn't seen? Which meant only 2 boxes. I think I am just getting scammed here really, because all of the boxes were the same. It makes me a little angry and I'm just venting here, but really I just need to let it go and move on to next week's orders.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 2:23pm
post #34 of 53

I have had this happen to me, and let me tell you, it makes you feel like poo. I agree with statements made here for both sides, BUT only you know the quality of work that went out of your business that day. If you truly believe you work was of a quality standard, then NO REFUND. If you believe your work was not up to a professional standard of quality, you should give some kind of refund. I personally think from the sound of things that it was a combination of both, and you were correct to offer her what you did. I am sorry this happened to you, but if you think she scammed you, don't accept any future orders from her. Because if she does it once she will do it again. It is not a good feeling to think you messed up someone's order, but it is even worse when you find out FOR SURE (like I did) that you were scammed. To make it worse, it was a family member who did it to me. She won't be getting anymore cakes from me.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 3:08pm
post #35 of 53
Quote:

no I showed her 3 out of the 5 boxes of cupcakes, which was about half of her cupcakes. All of the big boxes looked the same. I agree with the messed up packagaing, but the big boxes I had originally gotten for her petit fours and I thought they'd work for the cupcakes, My mistake. But I had 2 days to make 200 mini cupcakes with 200 handmade roses and had no time to run an hour away (where I get my supplies) to get new boxes. I have no helpers it's just lil' ol me.

When I wrote her an email I stated that since she approved of at least half of the cupcakes on site that I would refund her half of her money. Seems fair to me right? But I still have not heard back from her.

On my view the problem is you are determining what to do based on her approval of the cupcakes she saw in the store. However if you admit they were improperly packaged they could have easily sustained damage during transit even if handled properly. If they were not stuffed in there, there would be a little space between each cupcake. In addition there is space between each one by the simple fact that cupcakes have sloped sides. The tops may not have space between them but the based do which creates a space for the bases to slide toward each other (thus explaining how they would tip over).

Now even a simple turn or even simple breaking would result in the cupcakes sliding closer together, sliding against each other, etc. Another turn or stop (would not even take a hard push on the brakes) and they are sliding again. It is not hard to believe that by the time they reached their destination the one's without inserts could have become a mess.

If you have not seen this happen--try it. Take even a few cupcakes set them in a small box where they are not stuffed in there and drive around--they will not be in the same position as when you started--having shifted to one side and pushing into each other. This is part of the point of inserts, they will shift if not held in place.

Now certainly you cannot know how they were transported after they left the shop. However that they were not properly packed made it highly likely that they would sustain damage during transport-they did not have to be dropped. That she was pleased how they looked in the shop is somewhat irrelevant given that due to improper packaging there was a good chance they would not look that way after leaving the shop. Yes clients take responsibility for transportation. However you cannot blame a client for damage sustained if the product was not properly packaged.

KellyJo3 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 3:32pm
post #36 of 53

I agree with what you are saying, but wouldn't the other cupcakes in the big box that she saw most likely of fallen over as well? That is not what I am getting, is it seems highly coincidental that it just so happened to be only 2 boxes of cupcakes she did not see that she claimed to be "ugly". She did not say all of the cupcakes were ugly. Just the ones she did not see, which also coincidentally makes me look bad. So yes, half of them apparently were beautiful, which were her exact words of the ones she saw.

I know I could try to argue that I transported the cupcakes 1/2 hour from my bakery that I rent to my office where they pick them up and nothing happened to them then, but I am a baker and have transported things and am used to driving in a careful way. She may not have had that type of experience. Therefore that is why I am only refunding her money for the cupcakes she said were ugly, which were half of them.

Also I added a couple of upside down dipping cups in each big box so that the top of the box would not touch the cupcakes and it made them have a little bit of a tighter fit too, but I'm guessing that will not help defend myself either.

KellyJo3 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 3:37pm
post #37 of 53

oh and by the way to be precise, I put an upside down cup in each corner and 2 in the middle.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 3:54pm
post #38 of 53
Quote:

I agree with what you are saying, but wouldn't the other cupcakes in the big box that she saw most likely of fallen over as well? That is not what I am getting, is it seems highly coincidental that it just so happened to be only 2 boxes of cupcakes she did not see that she claimed to be "ugly". She did not say all of the cupcakes were ugly. Just the ones she did not see, which also coincidentally makes me look bad. So yes, half of them apparently were beautiful, which were her exact words of the ones she saw.

I will agree it does seem odd. However look up to this thread where you clarify what you meant by a couple of boxes. It is possible that when she says the one's I did not see she is talking about the one's not packed by inserts. How likely I can't say as I did not hear the conversation but it seems possible especially if she was not sure which of the large boxes she initially saw in the store (I am assuming that all the larger boxes were the same size).

I want to be clear I do not want to be viewed as taking her side, simply that it is possible that you are not being scammed. I want to also say thanks for posting your experience--it takes courage to put this out there, but have found the conversation educational.

KellyJo3 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 4:13pm
post #39 of 53

You know sometimes, I don't even know why I post on this site. Really. I feel like I have to defend myself more to some people on here more so than I do the very few customers that I have had a problem with.

My original post was to ask for advice on what to do in this particular situation. I figured that out. I know that my problem started off with my dumb butt agreeing to do petit fours at a highly discounted price and could not. Well I paid for that by making over 200 mini cupcakes dipped in poured fondant with 200 handmade sugar flowers for 1.00 a piece.

Now I know some of you think I got off easy on that, you think wrong. That meant I had 2 days to bake these suckers, dip them in the poured fondant all while making 200 flowers. Mind you each petal on these flowers were individually glued on, with them having 4-6 petals on each. As well as making a 3 tiered cake, a full sheet cake, and a 2 tiered cake all in the same week and all being due this weekend.

Now I also know the packaging was my fault and I had figured out what to do with this lady and will refund her for the cupcakes that she claimed to be ugly, which was half. I did not need anyone to elaborate on the mistakes I made in this situation. Some of you really know how to kick someone when they're down.

I can take constructive critism, but some of the posts on here are more about elaborating on the mistakes I did rather than sympathy for a fellow baker. Thank you to the ones that did send kind words, as I really needed that.

Everyone makes mistakes specially in this line of business. I like to post my bad situations on here to help others not make my same mistakes, as I make a fair share of them at times. I guess what I am trying to say is if you see a fellow baker on this site that is obviously having a bad day and they just want to get on here and vent, unless they are not willing to admit their mistakes, or make ammends with the customer then cut them some slack ok? Be kinder and sympathetic to the situation at hand, as I am sure you'll need the same someday if not needed it already.

KellyJo3 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 4:15pm
post #40 of 53

Thanks gatorcake, I thought you were giving me a hard time, please disregard my last post. I appreciate your thoughts and concerns, I really do : )

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 4:43pm
post #41 of 53

It doesn't sound like improper packaging...not EVERYONE uses inserts and just 'cause they're now available doesn't mean ya gotta use 'em or it's improper packaging.

I wouldn't have wasted the boxes with inserts at all on this large order...not unless the whole order was gonna be packaged the same way. Not sayin' that it was wrong for you to have done it that way either.

I darn sure wouldn't have given a refund! She got a discounted price, she got coupon for free cupcakes, she got extra cupcakes with this order, aaaaaaaaaaaand she got a free freakin' 6" tier!

Kinda too late to back out of the refund now though...you done sent the email.

I seriously would ask for pictures of the offending cupcakes too. Surely, if they were so atrocious, she'd have taken a picture, right?

ETA: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand she got it all with 2 days prep time. Aaaaaaaaaaaand, after telling her you'd not made petit fours before, you still tried and wasted product on this insistent woman....aaaaaaaah!!!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 4:56pm
post #42 of 53

ok, while I get the improper packaging thing, this woman did not use that type of wording in her complaint. She did not say "ruined" "damaged" "tipped-over" or "squished."

She said "ugly." Implying that the baker showed her nice cupcakes while hiding the hideous monstrosities in the remaining boxes. If the cupcakes were all basically the exact same thing, then I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. I almost NEVER use those stupid inserts, because while I can fit 24 or 30 with the inserts, I can fit up to 40 in a half sheet box without, which saves me money. Never had tip-overs, which I guess is weird, but I pack those babies pretty tight.

Lately doesn't it seem like a lot of posts on here are referring to
passive-agressive clients who get a cake, rave about it and then call a few hours later to complain? What is with that?! What am I supposed to do about your problem when you can't talk to me to my face and then I have NO idea what happens between my house and your event?! I know its hard to complain, but people need to learn how to politely object person to person. I blame cell phones and email.....icon_smile.gif

KellyJo3 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 5:08pm
post #43 of 53

Thanks you guys so very much. I really appreciate it. I'm ready for it all to be done with and lessons learned and life goes on. Luckily I only have to make a few dozen cupcakes this week and a wine bottle cake for my mother in law. I'm thinking I may have to buy a real bottle of wine for inspiration, and in case I get thirsty in the process ; )

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 5:33pm
post #44 of 53

First of all, I definitely would have gotten her definition of 'ugly'. I agree...that is a totally different word from 'squished' or fallen over which is now what everyone has decided has happened. She needs to be more specific and you need to be less accommodating.

Sorry sweetie, but you are not coming out well on this deal regardless of what you do to make it up to this person. She is 'snake-bit'--one of those customers for which nothing will ever go right no matter how what you do or how hard you try. Whether they are your mistakes or her mistakes, there are just some customers that stuff (s***)happens to.

You shouldn't refund any money based on hear-say. You're already losing money on the deal...she will probably never use you again anyway, so why cut your arm off to prove something to her that she won't appreciate anyway?

Look, be honest..she came to you for petti-fors (sp?) knowing other bakeries charged at least $5 a piece. You may think she found this info out later, but I can almost guarantee she checked around first... and guess who had the right price? Why else would she be willing to take a chance knowing you have never done them before?

Then you offer the moon to make up for them and she eagerly takes you up on it. She approves the cake (free) and 3 boxes of cupcakes (basically also free) then conveniently calls an hour later to tell you the rest are 'ugly'. Not squished, not turned over...UGLY. Now you're offering her yet another refund without pictorial proof? Sorry, but you've been had. Lesson learned. Move on and don't offer any more to this person. You've done enough.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 7:01pm
post #45 of 53
Quote:

thank you all so much. I wrote the email, but I am going to sit on it for a few as I want my hubby, the level headed, better spoken one out of us to read it. Ya'll are great and again, thank you!

I know what you mean. I would be likely to write an email telling her to choke on her cupcakes and go to hell! Maybe not, but I would want to, and then DH would tell me not to!

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 7:53pm
post #46 of 53

This has been an eye opening post! Thanks for all the insight. I am nearing the opening of my commercial kitchen. Never thought about making a customer look at all the boxes they pick up! I will put this on my to do list! Thanks for the warning!!

cakestyles Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 8:12pm
post #47 of 53

Working with the public is tough but we're also consumers sometimes and I see a lot of posts on this site that seem to forget that. Not every client is out to scam us.

Sorry if you felt I was harsh that was not my intention. I am always truthful and I may not always agree with the popular responses but know that you'll always get honesty from me....and another perspective. Sometimes when we're upset it's hard to see the client's intention.

Again....good luck

gsbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gsbcakes Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 11:07pm
post #48 of 53

KellyJo3, when we have a large order and the cupcakes are in a box packed tightly, we NEVER use cupcake things. We have never had an issue with them tipping over either. Those things are just a waste of money for really big orders in my opinion.
I totally agree with you, we all make mistakes and don't need to be kicked when we are down. Hope you have a better week! icon_smile.gif

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 12:07am
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmat

ok, while I get the improper packaging thing, this woman did not use that type of wording in her complaint. She did not say "ruined" "damaged" "tipped-over" or "squished."

She said "ugly." Implying that the baker showed her nice cupcakes while hiding the hideous monstrosities in the remaining boxes. If the cupcakes were all basically the exact same thing, then I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. I almost NEVER use those stupid inserts, because while I can fit 24 or 30 with the inserts, I can fit up to 40 in a half sheet box without, which saves me money. Never had tip-overs, which I guess is weird, but I pack those babies pretty tight.

Lately doesn't it seem like a lot of posts on here are referring to
passive-agressive clients who get a cake, rave about it and then call a few hours later to complain? What is with that?! What am I supposed to do about your problem when you can't talk to me to my face and then I have NO idea what happens between my house and your event?! I know its hard to complain, but people need to learn how to politely object person to person. I blame cell phones and email.....icon_smile.gif

can i click LIKE? icon_lol.gif

I've never used inserts in my cupcake boxes when delivering myself or having the customers pick them up. And never had any incidents yet so far. For big boxes, we normally put them in the trunk, and I doubt my customers drove like an 85yo grandma (neither did I).
I packed them super close to each other but not super tight IYKWIM.

OP, forget & learn from this order, and move on with a smile! thumbs_up.gif

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:10pm
post #50 of 53

I agree with the posters about the "ugly" description. Had the cupcakes fell over she would have told you that and called them "squished" or "mashed" or something along those lines. Depending on how close your shop is to her home, I would make her bring the cupcakes back (not just except pictures because you can't always tell from pics). If the cupcakes really were ugly (although I don't think they were) you could have iced them again. The flowers should have been reuseable since they were made from fondant.

Based off the above post comment from me, I don't think I would refund money.

Now, had the cupcakes been truely ugly the $200 should have refunded. It doesn't matter that you already gave her a deep discount (not her fault you messed up the quote and even if you hadn't messed up the quote - it was still your quote). If I bought a new t.v. for $200 that was originally $400 but when I plugged it in it didn't work, I wouldn't want the store to say
"Well, because we sold the t.v. to you for 50% off you have to now live with a broken t.v.".

cakestyles Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:03pm
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

Now, had the cupcakes been truely ugly the $200 should have refunded. It doesn't matter that you already gave her a deep discount (not her fault you messed up the quote and even if you hadn't messed up the quote - it was still your quote). If I bought a new t.v. for $200 that was originally $400 but when I plugged it in it didn't work, I wouldn't want the store to say
"Well, because we sold the t.v. to you for 50% off you have to now live with a broken t.v.".

Thank you for getting this point across much better than me.

This is exactly how I feel about the price that the client paid.

It's not the client's fault that she was only quoted $200 for a $400 order, therefore she deserves the same customer service as if she had paid $400.

It sucks when we make mistakes on price quotes, sometimes we're able to go back and say, "sorry, I made an error when I gave you a price, to be fair how about we split the difference?" Sometimes, that's not possible and we end up taking the loss.

icon_sad.gif

cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:12pm
post #52 of 53

I guess all this just points to the fact that it's a good idea to photograph everything that is going out - so you have the evidence prior to the order being taken away. (Even if it feels silly to photo a load of cupcakes over and over). Make sure customers check the whole of their order too prior to leaving your premises - that way they should not be able make any unkind accusations.

cakestyles Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:01pm
post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecoachonline

I guess all this just points to the fact that it's a good idea to photograph everything that is going out - so you have the evidence prior to the order being taken away. (Even if it feels silly to photo a load of cupcakes over and over). Make sure customers check the whole of their order too prior to leaving your premises - that way they should not be able make any unkind accusations.

There's a pizza parlor here in town that opens every takeout box for the customer's approval before they leave the premises.

I used to get annoyed when we'd call to order 5 orders of fish and chips and the kid at the register would make me inspect each and every one. One time I told him I didn't need to look that I had been ordering from them long enough to know their quality was great, but he said "sorry ma'am it's company policy, I'll get into trouble if I don't open all of the boxes".

I think it's a good policy now, after reading what happened on this thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%