Air Bubbles, How Do You Not Get Them? Please Advise!

Decorating By D1976 Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 3:31pm by D1976

D1976 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 4

I really need some tips on the air bubble thing. I have a wedding in August and want to get it figured out.

What work for you not to get air bubbles in your frosting? Especially when swirling big swirls on cupcakes. I can't stand it when it's not perfectly smooth.

I know it's in the mixing, but what exactly. Sugarshack says to make sure your frosting in over your paddle when mixing. Is there any other tips?

Is shortening based frosting worse for getting bubbles than a frosting with butter in it? Or is all in the mixing of it.

3 replies
bakerliz Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know if there's any science to this, but I've switched from Crisco to Hi-Ratio Shortening and had much less "bubbly" results.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 4

In my opinion, if you aren't filling the bowl up completely, like Sharon suggests, then after you add the powder sugar you want to keep the mixer on a low speed and mix until everything is will mixed and not too much longer.

I have found, if you don't have a lot in the bowl and you have mixed it on high for a long period of time, it adds in bubbles.

If you are using a stand mixer are you using the paddle or the whisk? This whisk will incorporate air into your icing. Air equals bubbles.

D1976 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 4

I'm using a paddle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%