Real Waterfall Jungle Cake

Decorating By treetgirl Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 11:11am by Cookingkimber

treetgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treetgirl Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 6

I've been asked to make a cake with a real working waterfall. I've never done anything like this before and don't know where to begin. I think I can figure out the mechanics of the waterfall but how do I put that in a cake? Also, what should I have the water stream down that it won't melt? Any tips from you veteran bakers would be greatly appreciated!

5 replies
bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 1:59am
post #2 of 6

You would need to run the tubing up to the top of the cake (or wherever the water is coming from). I would try to make this a much of a straight shot as possible. Use something like a dowel to start the hole. just make sure that you plug the tube with something before you try to run it through. If that tube gets clogged with cake, you'll never get water out.

As far as what the water can run down icon_confused.gif You stumped me on that one. Maybe some kind of food lacquer...I've never used it, so I don't know if that's even a reasonable suggestion icon_wink.gif I'm sure someone else will have a good idea!

pvcat2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pvcat2000 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 2:28am
post #3 of 6

I'm not a veteran baker, but you could use a food safe plastic to run the water down, keep the flow light so it does not splash on the sides of the cake. Shape the plastic to go down the cake, maybe over rice crispy falls with little bumps for rocks. The plastic would also have to go up the side of the falls so the water would not get on the cake. A small fountain kit would work. I may be out to lunch on this, but just a suggestion.

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 2:42am
post #4 of 6

what about a thick layer of crisco? if the water is cold, then it shouldnt dissolve. i've wanted to do this for a long time, but the execution is whats stumping me. maybe a thin layer of plastic wrap over the cake, then the shortening? Please let us know how it comes out!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 2:42am
post #5 of 6

............what should I have the water stream down that it won't melt?............

Why not use the 'old' flower formers?? The smallest curve should be about right.

Cookingkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookingkimber Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:11am
post #6 of 6

I can't think of what episode it was but Cake boss did a similar cake and in the episode they show how the set up the pump and what they used on the cake to make the water flow. I would try to track down that episode on youtube ..it could be a major help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%