Need Input. Bride Wants Black Tiers.

Decorating By ShaunPepe Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 3:33pm by ShaunPepe

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:54am
post #1 of 3

So I have a bride that i am trying to design a cake for. Her colours are black and white with some accents of purple. It will be a 3 tier, round fondant wedding cake. She requested one or two of the tiers to be black. And she would like some scrolling designs on the cake. OK, then she sends me pictures of cakes she likes. Some are all white, some all black, some one black tiers, some 2 black, some just have black ribbon on white cake. Most of alot of piped black designs on white cake.

So I am having a hard time putting everything she likes together. Mostly I am not sure what colour cake to start with. Now I am thinking of doing black tier, white and then black again. But if the colours are alternating I can't have ribbons at the base, right? Because ribbons was another look she likes. I emailed her yesterday about design, but am still waiting to hear back what she says. LOL And I think I have looked through a 1000 black and white cake photos in the last 2 days.

Anyone have advice? What look do you like best in a black and white cake?

2 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 3

Why not alternate black & white tiers with purple ribbon at the bases. Then do white piping on the black tiers, black piping on the white tiers, with just a few purple dots or something among the piped swrils to tie it all together. And/or purple flowers on top.

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 3

Hi thanks for your help. I think we are going to do white, black, white tiers with no ribbon. I really like the look of just black and white on a cake and I am pretty certain that is the look she is going for too. I am going to put some purple gumpaste orchids on top. I like the idea of the dots along with the swirls. I think that will be the hardest part of the cake, just deciding what piping to do on the cake because I am so picky. Thanks for you input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%