Help! Luster Dust Is Streaky!

Decorating By TPayne827 Updated 17 Jul 2011 , 4:20pm by TPayne827

TPayne827 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:51am
post #1 of 7

I am making my son a Thor cake for his birthday tomorrow. I made a light grey helmet and hammer from RKT covered in fondant. I went over it with a coat of silver luster dust mixed with water but it looks very streaky. Is it possible that I mixed it too thin? Should I try vanilla or vodka instead and give it a second coat or try to dust it dry? Any help would be appreciated!

6 replies
artscallion Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 7

I'm curious as to why you used water instead of vodka to begin with. You generally don't use water because it will dissolve your fondant, whereas vodka or extract evaporates very quickly before this can happen.

Also, painted luster dusts will look streaky when painted, especially if it's too thin. But even if it's not. A second coat in the opposite direction usually helps. The texture of the mixture should be about like maple syrup. thick enough to coat a brush, but not so thick that it clumps when painting.

TPayne827 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 7

Well, I used water because that's what I always use when working with fondant/gumpaste. I am self taught and have never taken any classes so I learn as I go! I only started making cakes because I hated the tacky cakes I was being charged a fortune for at the local bakery. I only make a few here and there for friends/family.

I will try to do another coat with vodka. I think I mixed it too thin also. So far my son thinks it's the coolest thing ever! icon_smile.gif

artscallion Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 7
Originally Posted by TPayne827

... So far my son thinks it's the coolest thing ever! icon_smile.gif

That's the bottom line and all that matters!! icon_biggrin.gif

TPayne827 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the help! I repainted it with vodka and made it thicker and it worked like a charm! I always get adventurous with my kids' cakes and try something new. That way of it doesn't work out I can change my design at the last minute and no one has been promised anything! icon_wink.gif

I have one excited 6 year old so I know my job is done! icon_biggrin.gif

Coral3 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 10:41am
post #6 of 7

If it's still streaky after painting with vodka & lustre, then you can let it dry then buff some lustre dust on dry with a dry fluffy paintbrush, using a circular motion - that will even out the lustre, and disguise the streakiness.

TPayne827 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 7

Well, the cake turned out pretty good! All the kids (and parents) loved it! It was a fun challenge for myself!

Quote by @%username% on %date%