Anyone Recommend Cake Tins (Uk)?

Decorating By The4manxies Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 10:42am by MUM33t

The4manxies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The4manxies Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:02am
post #1 of 3

Hi, I've been making cakes for family and friends and have just started taking orders, mainly from teachers by word of mouth. I'm being asked to make larger cakes and stacked cakes and have invested in two silverwood 10" tins which seem to be ok (I've been wrapping a damp peice of towelling around them so they don't dry out round the edges). They're only about an 1 1/2" deep, if that, which seems very shallow for a tin that size and I usually end up baking 3 cakes which is a pain because I can only get two in the oven (and more expensive for electricity!). The next size up is about 4" deep in my local shop, although I've been able to buy an 8" tin that's 2 1/4 deep which seems a far better size. Not sure if they do a 9" that's 2 1/4" deep too??? Wondered what the favourite size/ dimension of tin is for a sponge cake and what make of tin is considered the best quality and preferred by the semi-professional baker. Buying all the different sized tins is an expensive mistake if you get it wrong. Help please :0) icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:36am
post #2 of 3

I've bought a couple of cake tins that are made by Circulon. They are fantastic. I have 8" and 9" and they are lovely and deep, totally non stick and cook the cakes perfectly.

I got one here in Ireland but couldn't find them anywhere until I discovered them on sale from Amazon.co.uk.

Here's the 8" http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001RTU55I/?tag=cakecentral-20

Hope this helps

MUM33t Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MUM33t Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:42am
post #3 of 3

I use round Invicta cake tins they come in all the sizes from 4" to 14" I think and are 3" deep. Good strong professional tins. For square cakes I have a Silverwood multi pan with extra dividers. At its largest its 12" but has 1" sections so you can make varying sizes.

I only have a standard size oven so I don't think I can go over 12" anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%