Fondant Issues!

Decorating By KimLynnC Updated 17 Jul 2011 , 4:31pm by KimLynnC

KimLynnC Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:52am
post #1 of 7

Hello there. I made Michele Fosters fondant for te first time. The taste was wonderful but when i covered my cake it had the elephant skin look and had a few little holes in it. I followed the recipe exactly and let it sit overnight before I used it. I'm am not sure what I am doing wrong. Someone please help!

6 replies
Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:02am
post #2 of 7

The problem might be that the cake hadn't settled enough before you put the fondant on it. What I do is to freeze my cake layers at least overnight and then thaw them. I fill and stack them and then put a weight on top (like a large plate or a floor tile, that's flat and will distribute the weight over a large surface evenly). I leave it on for a couple of hours, then take it off and crumbcoat the cake. Then I put my fondant on, and I usually don't have any problems with elephant skin, bulging or air bubbles.

KimLynnC Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:58am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your response icon_smile.gif I do all of the above too. I think the problem is in the fondant that I made because even before I put it on the cake it looked real bumpy when I rolled it out and got even worse on the cake.I'm so frustrated. Thanks for your suggestions,

awilder Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 7

i just made this for the first time and it turned out for me, I havent put it on my cake yet, but it turned out really smooth and no lumps at all... I will update you when I cover my cake later...

sounds like its a problem with either your sugar or your gelatin.. was your gelatin completely melted before you added the other ingredients?? And when you allowed it to cool did it form a skin on top? Or did you sift your powdered sugar before you mixed it in?? Thats all I can think of.. Sorry you are having problems with it!!

By the way, I looked through your photos and you make GORGEOUS cakes!! You are very talented!! I especially love your fish cake, I would love to make something like that for my dad for his bday.. did you carve that?

KimLynnC Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 7

Awilder thank you so much! Next time I try this recipe I will pay attention to every little detail with each step. I really want it to work for me because it tasted so good and was pretty inexpensive. Thanks for your help. I would love to see a pic of your finished cake.

I did carve the fish cake it was surprisingly simple though. I think the airbrushing is what makes it stand out. You should definately try it.

awilder Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 7

Ok.. KimLynnC here is my update on this!

I just used the fondant to cover my cake this morning, and I noticed it looked more lumpy than when I first made it, so I added about a tablespoon more glycerine and kneaded it in, an after about 5 minutes, it was smooth as silk and covered like a charm! icon_smile.gif

KimLynnC Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 7

Awesome! Thank you I will try that next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%