How To Make Red Buttercream Dream That Isn't Bitter

Baking By punkiin Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 7:51pm by Cakeuhlicious

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:06am
post #1 of 6

I haven't made a cake in a year or so. My daughters b-day party is Saturday and she wants me to make a red/black/white cake with Zebra print. I've seen several posts on here before about making RED buttercream, but I've been looking and searching for about 30 minutes with no luck. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

icon_smile.gif

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:20am
post #2 of 6

Use AmeriColor brand rather than Wilton . That will help a lot. It takes less dye.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 6

Americolor is better. I do have the no taste Wilton and it isn't bad. I did read a tip on here to start with a little blue, I think. It helps darken and you do not have to add as much red.

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you! I do have americolor and no taste. Blue?? REally?? I may be crazy, but is there something about koolaid???

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 6

I've read you can use black cherry koolaid before. Haven't tried it myself, and just remember if you do your icing will be flavored that.

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 6

I never thought about using koolaid o_0 I may have to try that for fun!

If you have a business, I'd recommend Lucks Liqua-Gel colors and buying them direct (have to have a tax id of some variety). They're gel colors are condensed so you use less to get true color and they don't bleed or have any taste. They're also like 1/2 the price of americolors if you buy them direct. They come in 10.5oz bottles and the average price is $4. I always have one of every color. Love them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%