Ganache And Fondant

Decorating By ngandara Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 9:55am by Dreamster

ngandara Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:27am
post #1 of 9

I am making a baby shower cake and they want ganache and fondant. Is that possible? I have only used buttercream. Thanks : )

8 replies
NanaSandy Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:00am
post #2 of 9

yes, Ganache works wonderfully under fondant! It will give you a nice smooth surface for your fondant to adhere to..and tastes wonderful too!! I usually put buttercream as a filling and ganache on the outside of the cake and cover with fondant. Yum...Happy Baking!!

Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:04am
post #3 of 9

I totally agree with NanaSandy! Ganache and fondant go remarkably well together. If I don't want to make three different things (ganache, fondant and buttercream), I even fill with the same ganache.

Lcubed82 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:02am
post #4 of 9

NanaSandy, what recipe do you use for chocolate ganache? When you cover the cake, what is the consistency? I've poured, and I've whipped, but I want to use under fondant.
TIA

ngandara Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:13am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the great advice! Do I let it harden all the way before applying the fondant?

FrecklesCakes Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:33am
post #6 of 9

I'm doing my first fondant cake next week so I'm no expert, however this is what i'll be doing from advice I've been given - let it cool before spreading over cake (not pouring) if it cools to much I mircowave it a tiny bit. Then I let it set on the cake and give it a light brush with water (can use sugar syrup too) then roll out and cover with fondant

Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:30am
post #7 of 9

I generally let my ganache set up till it's about the consistency of peanut butter and then use it to fill and crumbcoat. Where I live, it's not going to get any harder than that! Then I put my fondant directly on top of that. In a cooler climate, you might need to spritz with water or a light syrup for the fondant to stick to the ganache.

sweet56pooh Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:32am
post #8 of 9

There is this YouTube video you might be interested in watching. It's by inspired by Michelle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFtm8q4m4Bk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I hope the link works. It's one out of three videos she has on ganache under fondant.

Dreamster Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:55am
post #9 of 9

I did this last week.

I used equal weights of choc and double cream.

I waited until it was thick, I filled and crumb coated. I put in it the freezer to harden. Then I brushed with water and covered with fondant.

It was simple. Much easier than buttercream imo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%