Has Anyone Baked A Cake For Icing Smiles?

Lounge By DianneandBrad Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 12:36am by DerrellC

DianneandBrad Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:59am
post #1 of 20

I just found a wonderful organization that bakes cakes for critically ill children and their siblings up to the age of 19 years of age. I have been looking for a way to use my baking and cake decorating as a ministry instead of a business. This sounds like a perfect fit! Their website is www.icingsmiles.org if you would like to check it out.

19 replies
amberhoney Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:05am
post #2 of 20

I follow them on facebook, such a fantastic organisation! I would love to help set up a New Zealand branch icon_biggrin.gif

Rendee Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:10am
post #3 of 20

That is so cool!!!! Thanks for posting!!!

SweetSouthernBakery Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:23am
post #4 of 20

This is a pretty great idea. I would love to do it but I don't really think that I have the skills to do it at this point and time. Unless it's in cupcakes then I could do it. Maybe after I get a little more practice.

auntiecake Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:29am
post #5 of 20

I just registered for decorating cake for this organization. What a great project! I can't wait til they can get it set up in my area.

sweetblessings73 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:55am
post #6 of 20

THanks so much for sharing, great organization thumbs_up.gif

Elcee Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 20

I applied recently and just recieved my email saying that they've added me to their volunteer list.

There's a section, though, that talks about "being patient" while they get the word out so I wonder if that's a euphemism for "don't call us, we'll call you" icon_smile.gif.

cabecakes Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 20

What a fantastic idea! Hey, for all of those that are always asking what they can do with their practice cakes...there you go.

mombabytiger Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 20

I applied and was accepted a couple of months ago. You have to send them a picture of one of your cakes, which makes sense. You have to be legal. If you friend them on FB, you can see some of the cakes that have been made for these deserving kids. The decorators have knocked themselves out to make amazing cakes. It's obvious that the cakers want to put their best cakes forward for this worthy cause. I can't wait until I'm asked!

Elcee Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

You have to be legal.

I read that part a bit differently than you did, I guess. I thought it had to be legal for you to donate a cake, not that you had to be a legal business. For instance, here in Colorado, I can't sell cakes from my home but I CAN donate them from my home. Otherwise I don't think they would have approved me. I was very clear that I'm a hobbyist on my application.

auntiecake Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 20

Elcee you are correct and I believe it depends on the laws in each state.

ForTheLoveOfFrosting Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 7:53pm
post #12 of 20

What a great organization! I'll have to apply!! Thanks so much for sharing!

kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 20

...........I applied recently and just recieved my email saying that they've added me to their volunteer list.
There's a section, though, that talks about "being patient" while they get the word out so I wonder if that's a euphemism for "don't call us, we'll call you" ............

Ditto here. It's been a couple of months but have heard nothing further icon_sad.gif

FullHouse Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:41pm
post #14 of 20

I was added to their volunteer list the end of Jan. 2011 and was "called to action" mid-April for a cake needed the first week of June. It was a great experience and I would do another in a heartbeat. It's the 3 tiered butterfly cake in my photos.

Elcee Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 7:38pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

I was added to their volunteer list the end of Jan. 2011 and was "called to action" mid-April for a cake needed the first week of June. It was a great experience and I would do another in a heartbeat. It's the 3 tiered butterfly cake in my photos.

So there is hope for the rest of us to be contacted icon_smile.gif. The cake you made is adorable.

ForTheLoveOfFrosting Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #16 of 20

I'm going to apply... and yes, your butterfly cake was super cute!

FullHouse Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 7:58pm
post #17 of 20

Thanks for the compliments icon_smile.gif. The birthday drew a picture of her "dream cake" and her mom emailed it to me. Her main request was different shades of pink icing, stripes, flowers & butterflies.

I did read somewhere that there are times it can take 6-12 months for a request in your area. I would think it also depends on how many bakers they have for your area as well.

ForTheLoveOfFrosting Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:50pm
post #18 of 20

I'm inspired. Just submitted my application!

Sara_Bee Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:13pm
post #19 of 20

Submitted my application last week, got my first cake request yesterday! SO excited about this--gives me goosebumps just thinking about it!

DerrellC Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:36am
post #20 of 20

Thanks for the post,looks like something we all could support. One question, Don't flame me for asking but,I see a lot of copywrited cakes, by donating them are we protected from law suits ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%