My First Time Using Gumpaste Instead Of Fondant-Color Issue

Decorating By cupncake1 Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 8:42am by cupncake1

cupncake1 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:42am
post #1 of 4

I made some ears (black) for a minnie mouse cake and used gumpaste instead of fondant since I heard it drys faster but I noticed it's loosing it's color, they look a little grayish, does anyone have any advice for bringing back the color? I think if I paint them they'll be sticky and the paint will come off, is that true?

3 replies
Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:07am
post #2 of 4

Dissolve your food coloring gel or paste in something with a high alcohol content - Everclear is the best, but if you can't get that, I generally use vodka. That way it will dry fast and not be sticky. I've done a few cakes which are nothing but vegetable dyes painted on fondant like this and they're not sticky at all. I also use it a lot to overpaint already-colored fondant decorations when I think they need punching up. Hope it works out all right for you!

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:12am
post #3 of 4

You can also paint on americolor super black straight from the bottle and it will dry in about an hour and not be sticky.

cupncake1 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:42am
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much, if I can get my hands on some americolor tomorrow I will try that, if not vodka it is icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%