My First Time Using Gumpaste Instead Of Fondant-Color Issue

Decorating By cupncake1 Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 8:42am by cupncake1

cupncake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupncake1 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:42am
post #1 of 4

I made some ears (black) for a minnie mouse cake and used gumpaste instead of fondant since I heard it drys faster but I noticed it's loosing it's color, they look a little grayish, does anyone have any advice for bringing back the color? I think if I paint them they'll be sticky and the paint will come off, is that true?

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:07am
post #2 of 4

Dissolve your food coloring gel or paste in something with a high alcohol content - Everclear is the best, but if you can't get that, I generally use vodka. That way it will dry fast and not be sticky. I've done a few cakes which are nothing but vegetable dyes painted on fondant like this and they're not sticky at all. I also use it a lot to overpaint already-colored fondant decorations when I think they need punching up. Hope it works out all right for you!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:12am
post #3 of 4

You can also paint on americolor super black straight from the bottle and it will dry in about an hour and not be sticky.

cupncake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupncake1 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:42am
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much, if I can get my hands on some americolor tomorrow I will try that, if not vodka it is icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%