Fondant Drying Out

Decorating By mtaylor1023 Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 12:11am by catlharper

mtaylor1023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaylor1023 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 3

I live in AZ, so it's hot and dry here. I am using Satin Ice fondant to make some decorations for a cake. The fondant seems to be drying pretty quick...is this normal. I am not going to put the decorations on the cake until tomorrow. How should I store them so they don't dry out too much and crack on me?

2 replies
soapy_hopie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soapy_hopie Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 3

i just store flat decorations in a zip lock bag and it seems to work well me but then again i do not live in AZ so i wish you all the best of luck

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:11am
post #3 of 3

I have the opposite problem...but it's still humidity. I have too much, you have too little. Unless your decorations need to wrap around the cake then it won't matter if they are as hard as a rock when you put them on the cake...unless you want them to be edible. If so they you may want to wait till the last hour or so before making them. If they need to stand up on the cake or hang off the cake then you want them to be nice and hard. My problem is that with the heat/humidity here I can get them to dry hard but after about an hour outside they are soft and wilty. UGH. If your decorations lay flat onto the cake then you can just make them last minute and they will still be soft and edible for serving.

HTH

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%