Should I Stay With The Peanut Butter Cake????

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 5:52am by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 9

Now I'm worried.... I have all the cakes already made and frozen to be iced & decorated tomorrow, but now I'm 2nd guessing myself. I had a good friend try the trial cake and she said it was good - not her favorite because she isn't huge on peanut butter, but it was good. And then another friend said it was delicious - and then said she'd save the rest for her dh to try. (I'm thinking that if I had a delicious cake in front of me it would be hard to share...) Am I getting to crazy about this?

I was wondering if I should make some layers a more basic cake - like white or yellow - so 2 could be basic and 2 could be the peanut butter.... But then I'd have to match it with some super moist recipe to match the pb cakes... The only super moist cake recipes I have are chocolate and carrot and neither of those would work.

(this is for an surprise anniversary where the dh loves pb and she loves marachino cherries - so the filling is a jam made with them)

Am I just making myself crazy? I just have this fear that people will take a bite and say "oh, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" and then toss the rest of the cake. It's the time of the month that that might make me cry. icon_surprised.gif But then I don't really have time to redo the whole thing at this point either. Please help - what do you think?

8 replies
BecuzImAGurl Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 9

hey, peanut butter & jelly is a classic favorite! If you doubting about the taste not being special enough, add some chocolate ganache between the layers. It should be fine.

Wildgirl Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 9

I know I can make myself crazy.... the first friend just called and said her dh took a bite and said it was really good - and then left it to go do something. Now if I take a bite of something I think is really good, I will stand there and stuff my face until the crumbs are gone. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it. I need to move on to worrying about the icing & decorating. lol!

ChilliPepper Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 9

A lot of folks like chocolate cake with peanut butter cream so I think chocolate cake would go well with it!

CP x

Wildgirl Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 9

It gets slightly complicated - I wanted to bring "both of them" into the cake by using both the marachino & pb. Initially I tried a yellow cake with a swirl of pb cream & jelly for the filling, but that was REALLY pb&j and I didn't like it. This way actually tastes good..... I just hope others feel the same.

cs_confections Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 9

Why not fill it with both the jam and the chocolate? It would be kind of like a chocolate covered cherry filling - yum!

Wildgirl Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 9

Ok, I just made a pseudo-ganache and stuck some one the trial cake and had dh try (I'm over caked). He thinks it's better than the mc alone, so ----

Please please please help --- any ganache recipe? Or a chocolate buttercream? and the cake is a torte so there are 3 filling layers - should I put both choc and jelly in ea layer or do 2 chocolate and one jam????

I'm on my knees begging for help! lol! I have to leave shortly until late and only have part of tomorrow to get this all finished - and maybe a little bit of tense time before the party on Sat -- I'm getting so desperate!!

cs_confections Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:02am
post #8 of 9

Personally, I'd probably put both the jam and the chocolate in each layer. While I like ganache, I'm thinking a chocolate buttercream may blend better with the pb cake and jam in both texture and flavor.

Wildgirl Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:52am
post #9 of 9

Sounds good to me! Thanks for doing my thinking for me! icon_smile.gif

Why is it like this? I think it's me... I tend to be somewhat of a perfectionist and I worry. Now I'm worried that I will be at this ALL day tomorrow. And I'm so afraid there will be glitches.... the frozen cake will break, I won't have enough maraschino jelly and will have to take time to run to the store and make more, the new cream cheese recipe won't work for me either, my cake will be lopsided (which it really probably will be!), and since I've only done royal icing flowers, my buttercream ones won't turn out, the lettering will be botched - please stand by - I will probably be needing you on Friday! lol!

And I had planned on making purple flowers since that is her fav color, but the girl that is doing the party decorations is adamant that the colors be the same as their wedding, so now I have to go with dark rose-red. I'm thinking my wilton colors won't do it, so I picked up some dark cherry kool-aid tonight so I'll be experimenting. Not what I want to do the day before.

So, what will I say the next time I have an opportunity to make a cake for someone? I guess it depends on how this all turns out. At least I'll have some good recipes for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%