Gum-Tex Vs Tylose ??????

Decorating By cb3 Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 3:26pm by TexasSugar

cb3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb3 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 9

What is the difference? I have Gum-Tex, but keep reading that I need to add tylose powder to my fondant to turn it to gumpaste. The lady at Michael's said they are the same thing. Are they the same? They didn't sell tylose powder. Do they work the same or does tylose work quicker?

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 9

They are similar in that they do the same thing. They both when added to fondant will make your fondant dry harder and faster and be able to be rolled out thinner.

I've used both. I usually use more gum-tex because I can get it locally. I did just order a bigger container of tylose to have on hand.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:40am
post #3 of 9

They'll act the same, for the most part, but they're not the same.

Gum-tex is gum karaya and tylose is CMC. The tylose is a whiter product, so it keeps the paste whiter. Personally, I think tylose works better (using less of it) and more quickly.

Rae

cb3 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:40am
post #4 of 9

Thanks!!

barico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barico Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 9

I always use tylose and it works great. After a few hours of sitting your fondant is ready to go. On one occasion just a few weeks ago tylose wasn't available and I used gumtex. I mixed it with my fondant, made my bow pieces let them dry overnight and they were still soft in the morning.

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 9

I used gum-tex recently and my pieces were still too soft 3 days later! I plan to buy some tylose (haven't needed it much til now) - I've never read a review that said it didn't work properly.

BrindysBackyard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrindysBackyard Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 9

when i made white roses with the gum-tex it gave the flowers a dirty white color i did not like. tylose powder is white and worked so much better. i now only use the gum-tex with dark colors. i always have to add more gum-tex to my fondant. a little tylose powder goes a long way.

cb3 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 9

I have used gum-tex several times and my bows, etc were still soft. So, thanks! I think I will order some tylose and try it, instead. The gum-tex does have a purplish-gray color to it. I'd rather use it in my fondant that tastes good, than use gum-paste all the time that tastes yuck!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 9

For those that still have soft bows and stuff with gum tex, maybe you aren't using enough? I haven't had any problem with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%