Making A Lawnmower Handle?

Decorating By lissaban Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 4:51am by Marianna46

lissaban Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 2

I'm making my son a mini lawnmower (like the bubble mower for you moms) cake. I'm a bit stumped on making the handle. It can be very simple (no detail), but will need to be about 14" long. I prefer it to be edible, but am open to any suggestions. My original thought was pretzel rods covered in black colored candy melts (like the wafers Bakerella uses for cake pops), but I'm not sure if it will be hard enough to hold pretzels together.

My mom's thought was to use the plastic straws from giant pixie sticks and color/cover it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Does fondant get stiff enough, or I was told I could make 'clay' from the candy melts + cornstarch. I'm stumped.

1 reply
Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:51am
post #2 of 2

I would start with a sturdy wire (18-gauge or thicker), bend it into shape and then cover it by winding a long strip of some kind of food-safe paper around it - plastic wrap, maybe. Then I'd cover it with a long snake of gumpaste and let it dry for several days in a bed of flour or cornstarchl This will keep it from losing its shape. You'd probably have to turn it over a time or two so that it would dry all over. Unfortunately, I don't see how you could have it be totally edible at the size you want, but if anybody can think of a way, I'd be really glad to hear it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%