Many Questions! Need Help!

Decorating By sweetviolet Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 11:54am by sweetviolet

sweetviolet Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 4

I apologize in advance for the length of this post but I have several questions.

In November I'm making a 3 tier cake for my sisters wedding and little individual sushi cakes. I live in NC and she lives in FL. I will have to do as much pre-prep as possible before hand. I am also making 100 RI decorated sugar cookies for her shower, in NY, in August. My questions are this:

1. How long will frozen cakes stay fresh tasting? How far in advance can I bake them? (I'll most likely be driving with frozen cakes, letting them thaw on the way?)

2. I'd like to make the individual cakes ahead and ice them before freezing, I think I'll be using coconut or fondant pieces for the "rice", can I freeze the cakes with that on them? The icing will most likely be a butter cream.

3. For the sushi decoration, I'm worried that fondant in FL will react differently should I add gumpaste? Use modeling chocolate instead? Does one hold up better than the other? Can I make modeling chocolate deco's in advance and keep them? Can I freeze a completely assembled sushi cake if I use modeling choc.? What if I use fondant? (I'm thinking no because of condensation but I've heard of people freezing fondant decorated cookies?) The same question goes for the bamboo pieces and flowers for the wedding cake. Also I need a tried and true butter cream recipe that will stand the heat and humidity (although thankfully Nov. in FL. temp shouldn't be too bad!)

4. What are the opinions on baking, decorating and shipping RI decorated cookies? How long do I have to bake, decorate and ship them counting a 2 day ship time and still have them fresh? smaller boxes with bubble wrap between layers sound right?

Like I said before, sorry for all the questions but I'm getting varied answers when I search the forums. Thanks so much!

3 replies
cakestyles Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 4

Since every recipe is different, I suggest you make a sample of each item and freeze. Thaw out in about a month and see how they are.

I personally don't freeze my baked goods, so I have no idea what they're like after thawing, but I've read here in the forums that a lot of bakers do freeze their cakes with much success. You have to wrap everything really really well to avoid freezer burn.

I suppose Florida in November isn't as hot and humid as it is in July/August, and a lot of bakers use fondant in FL without incident.

cakestyles Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 4

ooops forgot about the cookies. lol

I make these all the time and really they need to be eaten within 3 to 5 days of baking/decorating for optimum freshness.

I tried making my holiday cookies 2 weeks early last year and that wasn't a good idea. The RI started getting a "chalky" look and cracking in areas after about 5 days and I had them wrapped really well.

I wasn't happy with them, so I didn't even give them away. After all that work, I was really disappointed. icon_cry.gif

sweetviolet Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:54am
post #4 of 4

So sad about your cookies! Thank you though for your info, I'm so excited to get started!

Quote by @%username% on %date%