Wish Upon A Star 1St Birthday Cake

Decorating By rgrady06 Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 9:55am by Jennifer353

rgrady06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rgrady06 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 5

So, my daughter is turning one in August. And since I own a bakery and am considered the cake lady around here, her cake has to be amazing and over the top. icon_smile.gif I'm kind of stuck on a "wish upon a star" theme, but I don't want to go too obviously Disney. Any cake ideas? Think totally over the top and huge. We're going to do a come and go at the bakery for her, so there will likely be quite a few people come. Any ideas/inspirations would be greatly appreciated!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:13am
post #2 of 5

How about a 3 (or so)-tiered cake with a standing star shape (either out of cake or RKTs) on the top? You could paint the star with gold luster dust and maybe put a little girl with her teddy bear out of gumpaste looking up at it from a lower tier. Or maybe the same sized cake with a star shower coming out of the top - you know, a bunch of stars on wires with one very large gold or silver one somewhere near the middle of the grouping. Do either one of these sound interesting? I know what you mean about needing to come up with something that will knock their socks off: I don't have a bakery, but I'm definitely the cake lady in my family and my granddaughter is turning one in September. I've made some pretty neat cakes for godchildren and friends' kids, but I want this one to beat them all, because after all, she is MY grandchild! Hope your cake turns out spectacular - how about a picture when it's done?

rgrady06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rgrady06 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:52am
post #3 of 5

I love the idea of the star shower! And I'm probably going to use mostly silver. I've been considering making a gum paste figure of my daughter to sit on the cake . . . Someone suggested incorporating her favorite things, but she's turning one. So favorite things are pretty much her Daddy and her Grandaddy. Kind of hard to incorporate them into a cake. Lol! It's probably going to be a tiered cake with lots of silver stars. I'm considering working in some side cakes if I can do it in a modern way. (no plastic staircases for me) And I'm trying to figure out how to work in the innocence of childhood and wishing on a star. Though about using the "starlight, star bright. First star I see tonight" quote in silver writing . . .

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:42am
post #4 of 5

Love your idea, rgrady06. The quote is just perfect!

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 9:55am
post #5 of 5

I really like the star shower idea, would it work to put the little girl figure sitting on earth and satellite cakes could be different continents?
Or more little girl ish (even Im not convinced about the earth idea!) have her sitting by (or inside a window of) her house and have the satellite cakes other places she goes to granddads house, park, etc?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%