1St Time Cake Maker

Decorating By ruthharleysmom Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 2:28pm by CWR41

ruthharleysmom Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, I want to make a stacked cake but I do not know how many layers I am supposed to do.
So far I have baked 1 8"x3" round cake. Do I bake another one and put on top of it and then go a size smaller for the next layer, or do I only need 1 3" cake per layer? I hope this makes sense..I am new to this and really want a great looking cake.

4 replies
ramie7224 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 5

It all depends on how high you want your tiers to be. If your cake is 3" high after leveling then you can tort (split it in half) and fill and still get a cake that's about 4" high. Based on your question, I am assuming that you are new at this (forgive me if you're not) and if you are planning on stacking you should check out some tutorials on here or youtube about using supports. If you don't support your tiers the weight of the ones on top will smoosh the ones beneath and you could have problems with slippage, cracking, or they may break.

CWR41 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 5

A layer cake is typically two 2" tall layers, but you can make them as short or tall as you'd like.

If you're stacking another "tier" on top, the size to choose would be determined by the total serving goal.

This should help:

ruthharleysmom Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the information. I am very new to this!

CWR41 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 5

This should be helpful too, for stacked cake construction:

Quote by @%username% on %date%