Help! My Cake Deflated!

Baking By threeforhim Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 6:29pm by mareg

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 10

I made the 7 egg pound cake. I've made it many times before. It mixed up just fine. I put it in the pan and in to the oven. I watched it and it was rising and doing just fine. Once done, I took it out and set it on the cooling rack. I looked at it a few minutes later and it sunk! The whole thing sunk down in the pan! I went ahead and baked another layer as I had batter left and that was my original intention. It did exactly the same thing.

Like I said I've baked this cake recipe many times before and never had this happen! Ugh, I baked all my cakes yesterday (so I thought) for the wedding, groom's and birthday cake I have for Saturday. Can someone offer some assistance? 7 egg pound cake, no baking powder/soda called for in this cake. I used reg. flour instead of self rising, however the recipe doesn't call for self rising or cake flower. 7 eggs, not 7 egg yolks. Cream crisco and sugar, add milk and flour alternately, starting and stopping with flour, add vanilla last.

Help, please.

9 replies
threeforhim Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 10

29 people viewed so far but no one has a suggestion? BUMP

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 10

Have you tried cooking it a little longer???

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 10

well here's a bump for ya cuz i don't know anything about pound cake :p that's probably why you have views but no one posting :p

could one of your ingredients have been expired?

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 10

Sorry OP... I know this is totally off subject, but I've been seeing this lately and am completely clueless..... what is BUMP? Does it stand for something?

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 10

Did you cream the eggs and sugar enough? You want to be sure you do as this is what will give your cake the body and create the little air pockets you want to provide structure.

Did you over mix when you were adding the flour? Was it completely done? Did you add too much liquid? There are a number of things that could have gone awry.

worlass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
worlass Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 10

hi i havent made the 7 egg pound cake before but i have made numerous victoria sponges large mixtures and sometimes they have sunk icon_mad.gif i then discovered that when i i had cleaned the oven i had accidently moved the gas bar in the back of the oven?

threeforhim Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the replies! I creamed the crisco and sugar. It didn't require that I cream the eggs with the sugar and/or crisco. It called for milk not cream. It's a very simple recipe and like I said I've made it many times before. I baked it first at 325 until it was toothpick clean. When it sunk I cooked the next one at 350 until it was clean. The only thing I can think of is maybe the other times I used self rising flour - however, as a rule I buy all purpose so I can't imagine making it multiple times before with self rising flour either. I baked another type of cake this morning for the groom's cake. While doing this I tasted the pound cake and it just didn't taste right either. It wound up in the garbage. I'll have to try and figure that one out because I really like (normally) that cake.

A bump is when no one is posting or responding to a post so it gets lost in the shuffle sort of, with all the other posts. If there is a response it gets put on the front page of the site again. Bump is just like a nudge, a bump in line to the 'front'.

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforhim

A bump is when no one is posting or responding to a post so it gets lost in the shuffle sort of, with all the other posts. If there is a response it gets put on the front page of the site again. Bump is just like a nudge, a bump in line to the 'front'.

Thanks!! thumbs_up.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 10

I have heard cakes do this when the rise too quickly. Fo you have a thermometer in your oven to make sure it's the temp you really want?

Hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%