What To Do When You Forgot About The Smash Cake? Please Help

Baking By CiNoRi Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 4:41am by imagenthatnj

CiNoRi Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:44am
post #1 of 22

So I have a cake for Saturday, baked all day today, batter is gone and i just realized I forgot the smash cake....

Is there some crazy chance you have a recipe for a basic vanilla cake that is just enough batter to make a 4" mini cake?

Or if you have another suggestion ill take it!

All of my recipes can only scale down to make an 8" 2 layer cake! I'd REALLY hate to waste all of that & cost for a free smash cake!

Please help!

21 replies
KoryAK Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:25am
post #2 of 22

Why do they only scale down that low? You can scale it down to use just one egg or even less if you want. Just math it up, it'll come out icon_smile.gif

myslady Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:36am
post #3 of 22

Have you tried using a calculator to scale down the recipe even further like Kory said or just freeze the extra batter.

MamaD77 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 8:40am
post #4 of 22

Or, a cupcake recipe or box mix for 12 cupcakes, pour enough batter that you need in the small tin,if there's any leftovers, make cupcakes at the same time. You may get 4 cupcakes for yourself and family out of it, a nice reward for your work, a coffee and cupcake!

CiNoRi Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 22

I use box mixes for wasc recipes... i was hoping o just make a small cup of batter say from scratch ... just so i dont have to break into another full box mix icon_sad.gif

CiNoRi Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaD77

Or, a cupcake recipe or box mix for 12 cupcakes, pour enough batter that you need in the small tin,if there's any leftovers, make cupcakes at the same time. You may get 4 cupcakes for yourself and family out of it, a nice reward for your work, a coffee and cupcake!





Love it! however i already have scraps that we have been munching on hehhe ...Its been a busy week and i dont want any more here!!! icon_wink.gif

ufo9978 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 22

I like the idea of using another box cake mix. but you can also buy a small cake from you local bakey clean up the frosting and re decorate it with your theme. it's a smash cake it's not like anybody gonna taste it. it will all be smush.
Also if you use a box mix you can bake your desired amount and bake rest and freeze for cake pops later.

CiNoRi Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo9978

I like the idea of using another box cake mix. but you can also buy a small cake from you local bakey clean up the frosting and re decorate it with your theme. it's a smash cake it's not like anybody gonna taste it. it will all be smush.
Also if you use a box mix you can bake your desired amount and bake rest and freeze for cake pops later.




That was my first thought. I might go see about getting one, good call.

I have yet to try and freeze batter. Really does work? What is the logest your have frozen it for? And (stupid question) do you let it come to room temp before baking, say if I had it frozen into a given pan/ ready to bake?

Thanks!

poohsmomma Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 22

My old Betty Crocker cookbook has a recipe for a "Dinette Cake" that makes a 8"square cake.

1 1/2 c. flour
1 C. sugar
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 C. milk
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
Mix all ingredients at 1/2 min on low speed. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 min.

I like to use it for pineapple upside down cake.

all4cake Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi


I have yet to try and freeze batter. Really does work? What is the logest your have frozen it for? And (stupid question) do you let it come to room temp before baking, say if I had it frozen into a given pan/ ready to bake?

Thanks!



Yes, it works. I've successfully frozen batter for up to 3 months. If you store the batter in freezer bags, you'll have to let it thaw enough to spread into pans. If you freeze it in pans, you can just take it directly from freezer to preheated oven to bake and give it another 5-10 minutes bake time.

CiNoRi Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

My old Betty Crocker cookbook has a recipe for a "Dinette Cake" that makes a 8"square cake.

1 1/2 c. flour
1 C. sugar
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 C. milk
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
Mix all ingredients at 1/2 min on low speed. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 min.

I like to use it for pineapple upside down cake.





oooh thanks this will come in handy

CiNoRi Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:28pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi


I have yet to try and freeze batter. Really does work? What is the logest your have frozen it for? And (stupid question) do you let it come to room temp before baking, say if I had it frozen into a given pan/ ready to bake?

Thanks!


Yes, it works. I've successfully frozen batter for up to 3 months. If you store the batter in freezer bags, you'll have to let it thaw enough to spread into pans. If you freeze it in pans, you can just take it directly from freezer to preheated oven to bake and give it another 5-10 minutes bake time.




I will definitely start doing this.

I was lucky enough to talk my local grocery store into selling me some small rounds... will work perfect for this. Will save me a lot of time too. I was worried there fora bit but thanks you guys for your help!!!

ufo9978 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 22

I never freeze the batter I meant to say to say bake the rest to the batter and freeze the cake for for pops. I have froze my scrapes and cakes for upto a month. our local grocery store have small cakes on manager special for $4 all the times

Narie Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:47pm
post #14 of 22

Thie recipe makes a 8 inch square. But you could use part of it for your 4 inch smash cake and make cup cakes with the rest or whatever. This is the recipe I learned in 4-H. I think Mom liked because it was inexpensive and gone quickly. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3433/busy-day-cake

mmdiez10 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:56pm
post #15 of 22

I'd go with poohsmomma's idea. The "dinette cake" is great for these little emergencies or unexpected guests. It makes a small cake and tastes good.

KimErskine Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:57pm
post #16 of 22

You could always bake the smash cake and then some other sizes and freeze them for some cake balls later.

Claire138 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:54pm
post #17 of 22

My interest has been piqued! What on earth is a smash cake?

cfpeoples Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:09pm
post #18 of 22

claire 138....a smash cake is a small cake decorated in a smaller scale to match colors and theme of the real birthday cake for a first birthday. That one gets given to the baby to "smash" and eat while the guests eat the real cake.

Claire138 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:25pm
post #19 of 22

Oh wow, I've never heard of it.

Thanks!

LindaF144a Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:23am
post #20 of 22

If it is a smash cake that will be used for destruction purposes and for the child to eat, why not go to your local grocer and buy some cake from them. You can add a thin layer of your own frosting to the cake and decorate it.

Baker_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:54am
post #21 of 22

If you have a scale:


33% cake mix (duncan hines yellow)

6 ounces cake mix
1 egg
2 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup water (close enough to 33%)

This will make about 8 cupcakes.

If you don't have a scale, open the cake mix, measure with a measure cup and divide by three. Use 1/3 of the mix and save the 2/3 for another time. Mark the bag though so you know how much is in there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%