White Chocolate/buttercream Ganache

Decorating By LadyViola Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 1:59pm by LadyViola

LadyViola Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:52am
post #1 of 22

Ok so I need some help icon_smile.gif) I usually ganache my cakes before I cover with fondant because it I love how super smooth I can get my fondant with it. However, with my almond/vanilla (non chocolate) cakes I think buttercream tastes better. Problem is I can't get it anywhere near as smooth as ganache and if I use too much, then you know I'll have lumpy looking fondant icon_sad.gif( SO my question is, I've heard you can use white chocolate ganache and I'm wondering if anyone has had success using this with white cake? Does it taste good or do people find it too sweet? Also is there anyway to flavor the white chocolate ganache to taste like say, vanilla frosting? I would love to find something that tastes like buttercream but applies and hardens like fondant. Any such thing?? Thanks soo much in advance!

21 replies
Marianna46 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 22

Hi again, LadyV! Our minds seem to be running in the same channels today! I've made white chocolate ganache for white cakes, and I personally find it delish! If you want it to taste more like buttercream, you can add vanilla and almond extracts, but you're never going to totally erase the light chocolate flavor. I, of course, don't think of this as a bad thing. What about making your ganache with white candy melts? I don't know if the Wilton ones, for example, taste like white chocolate (the ones I get here definitely do, but they're made by a chocolate manufacturer!). If they're more neutral in taste, that might solve your problem. The recipe for ganache with candy melts is the same as for the one that uses real chocolate, I find. Hope you find a solution to your problem. I'm like you - I always use ganache under my fondant, in my case mainly because it holds up best in the hot, humid climate in Cancún.

hollyberry91 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 22

Do you mind sharing your cream to white chocolate ratio? I having a hard time finding the right balance. I've tried the microwave and double boiler methods and think i'm having to add too much cream to get my white chocolate to melt smoothly and then my ganache doesn't harden all the way. I've been using hershey's or toll house white choc chips could that be the problem? Thansk! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 22

I've used the white chocolate on cakes. I didn't eat any of it myself, but I was told it was good.

You can flavor your ganache, look into the concentrated candy oils. You could actually flavor it a lot of different ways.

LadyViola Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 22

Thanks ladies! I guess the best way to find that perfect flavor is to experiment! I'm gonna try just some regular white chocolate chips and add some vanilla to it and see what happens, LOL. icon_smile.gif)

@Hollyberry, the ratio for white chocolate ganache should be 3:1, so 36 ounces white chocolate to 12 ounces cream (just an example).

hollyberry91 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 22

Ok thanks! Can't wait to try it!

LadyViola Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 22

Hi Marianna! Thanks so much...I really dont want to completely erase the chocolate flavor, I guess Im just concerned that some people might not like white chocolate or that it might be too sweet. I think I am going to maybe do part ganache, part buttercream. That way, it will firm up a little before I put the fondant on. I have no clue how that will turn out but it wont hurt to try. I'm just really searching for the perfect complementing flavor to my white cakes icon_smile.gif)

MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 22

I only use white chocolate ganache, and IMO it's a lot less sweet than buttercream and has a pretty neutral flavour. My customers LOVE it!

LadyViola Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

I only use white chocolate ganache, and IMO it's a lot less sweet than buttercream and has a pretty neutral flavour. My customers LOVE it!




Thanks! Do you add any flavorings to yours??

JaneK Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 22

I covered my sister's wedding cake in white chocolate ganached under the fondant and I had to use a ratio of 4:1
It was not too hard when set..the knife went through just fine and the taste is soo great.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyViola

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

I only use white chocolate ganache, and IMO it's a lot less sweet than buttercream and has a pretty neutral flavour. My customers LOVE it!



Thanks! Do you add any flavorings to yours??




Nope, just cream & good quality white chocolate

hollyberry91 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 22

Any suggestions on a good quality white choc? I've just been using white choc chips and I think that may be my problem. Thanks!

LadyViola Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 10:39pm
post #13 of 22

Ok I made some white choc ganache a few hours ago and you guys were right! It tastes great! Its not set yet of course but I tasted some on vanilla cake and I loved it. Not too sweet at all. This will go great with buttercream filling. I used some nestle white choc chips. Not sure if thats considered a "quality" white choc but it tastes good to me! icon_smile.gif)

gabbenmom Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 11:00pm
post #14 of 22

You could also try whipped white chocolate ganache!! It is so yummy! There is a recipe on here for whipped chocolate ganache. I read that you need to have about double the white chocolate (compared to milk or semi sweet). It makes a wonderful filling and I would think a great base under fondant!

Marianna46 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 11:17pm
post #15 of 22

I've always used the 3:1 ratio for white chocolate ganache. The brand I use is local (I think it's Turín), so I can't recommend a brand for the US. I've never found much difference in whipped versus unwhipped ganache (I've tried them both), so I usually don't bother with the whipping. So LadyViola, are you still thinking about mixing the ganache and the buttercream or will you fill with buttercream and ice with ganache? Let us know how it turns out, whatever you decide to do.

LadyViola Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 11:39pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I've always used the 3:1 ratio for white chocolate ganache. The brand I use is local (I think it's Turín), so I can't recommend a brand for the US. I've never found much difference in whipped versus unwhipped ganache (I've tried them both), so I usually don't bother with the whipping. So LadyViola, are you still thinking about mixing the ganache and the buttercream or will you fill with buttercream and ice with ganache? Let us know how it turns out, whatever you decide to do.





I'm going to fill w/ buttercream and ice with ganache. I'm not going to be icing the cake until saturday but I will def. let you all know how it turns out. As far as taste, I think it compliments my vanilla cake well. icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyViola

Ok so I need some help icon_smile.gif) I usually ganache my cakes before I cover with fondant because it I love how super smooth I can get my fondant with it. However, with my almond/vanilla (non chocolate) cakes I think buttercream tastes better. Problem is I can't get it anywhere near as smooth as ganache and if I use too much, then you know I'll have lumpy looking fondant icon_sad.gif( SO my question is, I've heard you can use white chocolate ganache and I'm wondering if anyone has had success using this with white cake? Does it taste good or do people find it too sweet? Also is there anyway to flavor the white chocolate ganache to taste like say, vanilla frosting? I would love to find something that tastes like buttercream but applies and hardens like fondant. Any such thing?? Thanks soo much in advance!




What is your butter cream recipe? I use buttercream under all my cakes and lather it on thick. I don't get lumpy fondant either. So I'm thinking you are not using a BC that will help you avoid a lumpy fondant.

FlourPots Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:06am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyberry91

I've been using hershey's or toll house white choc chips could that be the problem? Thansk! icon_smile.gif





I use Nestle's Toll House White Chips exclusively...one 12oz. bag + 1/2 cup heavy cream.
(I typically make 2 batches per cake, I don't make huge cakes LOL)

I melt the chips completely in the microwave, then add the boiled cream to it and combine...
If I didn't mic them first, they wouldn't all melt with just the heat of the cream.

I love the taste and don't find it too sweet, but recently I tried the white chips made by Guittard (after reading this review: http://www.cookscountry.com/tasting/print/overview.asp?did=696 )

They were amazing and definitely less sweet than Nestle's...I would switch, but I can't find them locally and had to order on-line, which I wouldn't continue to do as a hobbyist.

Here's a thread with great information about flavoring white choc. ganache: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=707026&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

funtodecorate2 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:28am
post #19 of 22

ok dumb question.
I've been reading these comments and have a question or two. I made choc buttercream ganache one time last week. Of course I added the buttercream, but you can use just the ganache itself without the other?
So just the chip, cream? butter???
pour it on and eat?
fill and frost?
sorry still a newbie.
thanks, Wendy

Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:08am
post #20 of 22

Yes, Wendy, that's exactly right.

funtodecorate2 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:17am
post #21 of 22

thanks for the info. icon_smile.gif

LadyViola Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 1:59pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a



What is your butter cream recipe? I use buttercream under all my cakes and lather it on thick. I don't get lumpy fondant either. So I'm thinking you are not using a BC that will help you avoid a lumpy fondant.




Linda, I use Rick's special buttercream recipe, except I use 2/3 butter and 1/3 shortening instead of all shortening. I wonder if its the butter possibly making it softer which causes lumps and bumps? I would love to be able to use a nice thick coat of BC under my fondant but every time I try its just a lumpy mess. Although ganache is delicious as well and I've got no complaints there icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%