Lisapost Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 11:33pm
post #1 of

I saw this beautiful cake today http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2097003/ while I was looking for ideas for my daughter's birthday cake. The technique is the second tier is called billowing and when I search 'billow' here on cake central, several forum posts come up, but all of them say 'error ,not found'. On YouTube the technique is not listed at all. I would like to practice before I do her cake (it's her 25th, and a big party is planned). Can any one please post a link to a tutorial or video please?

20 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 11:41pm
post #2 of

It's pretty easy...I don't have a link to a tutorial but I can tell you how to do it. Just cut squares of fondant...I think the cutter I used was 2"x2". Fold the edges over on the sides two sides opposite of each other (the top and bottom), just a little bit. Then on the other sides, pleat the fondant and pinch it together. Brush the pinched edges with a little bit of gum glue and attach them to your fondant-covered cake. Do that all the way around the cake. On the next row up, start with the pinched ends above the middle of one of the billows below. Just keep going in rows around the cake until it's covered, then go back and add dots or whatever decorations you'd like over the pinched ends.

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 11:42pm
post #3 of

Try this one.

http://thejoyofcake.shutterfly.com/tutorials

It's cake_architect's blog.

silverdragon997 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 12:22am
post #4 of

There's going to be tutorial in the next issue of Cake Central Magazine from the person who invented it. Of course, that may not be published for another 3 years...

imagenthatnj Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 12:30am
post #5 of

Yes, that was the original idea, but the author can't show the tutorial until the magazine is published. So Susan Trianos is still waiting for that. Meanwhile, cake_architect figured it out. And that's the only tutorial we have.

There's still that note on Susan Triano's website.

http://www.susantrianoscakes.com/category/cake-tutorials/

Oh, and to the OP, you can check out her beautiful wedding cake there, too.

Lisapost Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 12:38am
post #6 of

Thank you all, I knew I could count on my Cake Central friends! I have already read cake_architect's blog several times. I am going to practice this weekend.

VaBelle Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 1:13am
post #7 of

I followed the joyofbaking tutorial and it's super easy and looks beautiful. You don't really need any practice, it's that easy.

katj012 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:18pm
post #8 of

This is gorgeous... I think I might try to do this for my christening cake!

majormichel Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:36pm
post #9 of

I want to try this on a square cake. How yo think it would look?

Any sugguestions?

JWinslow Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:35pm

I just got finished with billowing on a dummy cake using dabear's cake as my guide. I used a quilting board and pastry cutter to get my 2x2 squares (don't have 2x2 cutter). I used water to attach the squares. I haven't posted my pic yet but am really pleased with it. I found putting the dots on more difficult lol

Lili5768 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:22pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

It's pretty easy...I don't have a link to a tutorial but I can tell you how to do it. Just cut squares of fondant...I think the cutter I used was 2"x2". Fold the edges over on the sides two sides opposite of each other (the top and bottom), just a little bit. Then on the other sides, pleat the fondant and pinch it together. Brush the pinched edges with a little bit of gum glue and attach them to your fondant-covered cake. Do that all the way around the cake. On the next row up, start with the pinched ends above the middle of one of the billows below. Just keep going in rows around the cake until it's covered, then go back and add dots or whatever decorations you'd like over the pinched ends.




Thank you so much! I've been admiring this technique for a while now.
To me it looks almost like a technique that's done on fabric called "ruching".
So wonderful all the things you can do with fondant!

There's a pic of ruching here.
http://www.laurabeedesigns.com/Ruched-Silk-Clutch-pr-14-c-6.html

De65 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 9:37pm

My Mother and Grand Mother used to do that "billowing" in the 60's but with one continued strip of fondant not squares.. When i saw the pics of that cake, it reminded me of the pics of my Parents wedding cake. My Grand Mother made their cake and used that style on the lower layer to match the bodice on my Moms wedding gown. It wasnt called billowing then.
I love when old traditions came back in style.




Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdragon997

There's going to be tutorial in the next issue of Cake Central Magazine from the person who invented it. Of course, that may not be published for another 3 years...


katj012 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 7:48pm

I just posted a picture of my cake from this past weekend where I did the billowing - I LOVE the way it turned out, and it was much easier than I expected!

krumbledkakes Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 3:57am

How stinking cute is that?! Let me know how it turns out for you

sechrestloans Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:56pm

For the billowing technique on my cake in my photo gallery, I just used a square cookie cutter gathered at the edges. Very easy to do and looks great!

ptanyer Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 3:51am

For those waiting on Susan Trianos DVD on the billowing technique, it is now available for sale. You can go to her website and order it..yea. Ordered mine and waiting on the mail to deliver it, can't wait!

I did a cake on Friday night using the billowing on the middle tier and really love how it looks. It was time consuming for me because the cake was so tall, but the clients loved, loved it. I posted photos of the cake last night to my cake photos. This will definitely be my favorite techniqueicon_smile.gif

icer101 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 12:33am

I started practicing this week end on a dummy cake. I love this technique. It is so easy. I used piping gel as my glue. I used fondand only. It did great. Got to finish it . Then i will post a pic of mine.

ptanyer Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 4:11am

Can't wait to see your photos icon_biggrin.gif I got my DVD today from Susan and it was such alot of help for future projects!

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 4:44am
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechrestloans

For the billowing technique on my cake in my photo gallery, I just used a square cookie cutter gathered at the edges. Very easy to do and looks great!




I am looking for your profile picture cake in your gallery and can't find it! I want to see it up close and add it to my favorites!!!

gscout73 Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 5:32am
Quote:
Originally Posted by katj012

I just posted a picture of my cake from this past weekend where I did the billowing - I LOVE the way it turned out, and it was much easier than I expected!




Where did you post your pic? I do not see one in your gallery with "billowing" and I didn't see one in your blog.

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 4:16pm

I just bought Susan's DVD from Jennifer Dontz! It should be arriving sometime next week. Thanks Susan! I'm looking forward to it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%