Three Tier Wedding Cake

Decorating By Jaci80 Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 3:34am by Jaci80

Jaci80 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 3

I am baking a three tier wedding cake for my wedding on June 16, 2012. We are in the brainstorming process of what we would like our cake to be like and would love to hear your thoughts.

Here are some ideas that we have come up with thus far...

Three different flavored layers: chocolate cake, yellow cake and marble cake. Which recipes for these three different cake flavors will work best together? Are there any specific sturdy yet moist cake recipes that you absolutely love?

Layers filled with ganache. I have made a firm ganache shell on cakes, but have never filled a cake with ganache so not sure of the correct semi sweet chocolate:heavy whipping cream ratio for a filling.

Icing the layers with buttercream or ganache then covering with fondant. Not sure which would taste better with the ganache filling...my fiance is leaning more toward the buttercream.

Any ideas, recipes, suggestions, etc. are more than welcome! Thank you so very much!

2 replies
Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:39am
post #2 of 3

Well, I'm a big fan of ganache, so I would both crumbcoat and fill the cake with it. The recipe is the same for both, by the way. Also, ganache stands up to the heat of summer better than buttercream, if that's a consideration. But probably a good way of starting out married life is to make your husband happy on your wedding day (not saying you're supposed to cater to him the rest of your life, you understand!), so you might either go with buttercream or give him a little taste of a ganache that he won't be able to resist. Any kind of cake, except for the ones that have a lot of air incorporated into them (angel food, chiffon, etc.) are good for stacking, because each successive tier doesn't rest on the one below, but on the supports you sink into the cake (we can talk a little more about this if it's new to you). On the other hand, fondant is heavy and stands up best to a dense cake like pound cake or a scratch or doctored white or yellow cake. Hope this helps, and feel free to come back with anything else - I love talking about cakes, as do most of the people who post here.

Jaci80 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 3:34am
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for all of the advice! It is much appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%