Ka Classic Or Ka Artisan

Decorating By theCword Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 3:02pm by Narie

theCword Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 9

I have another topic going about whether or not a mixer is necessary. I do prefer the brand KA but am open to suggestions.

I had my heart set on an artisan pink one but it'll be a while before i can afford it. I've been checking out CL and they have several in my area- the classic one for a price I could actually afford.

I bake as a hobby. I probably bake about once a month right now with my 10 year old hand mixer but if I had a KA, I'd probably be playing with it alot more!!! I will be making my nephews 1st b-day cake in a couple of months for about 50 people.

So with that said, would the classic work for me? What do you have? Do you wish you had the artisan or the pro or the classic?

I just hate buying something because it was cheaper then later wishing I would had waited a while for the next step up.

8 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 9

You can always sell the Classic again after you buy the Artisan.

If you buy a used one, when you go to look at it, besides turning it on to listen to the motor, check for oil leaks where the beater attaches to the mixer head. It's better to get a used mixer from a cake maker than someone who makes bread...bread is hard on the machine.

bananabread Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 9

I love KA I have 3 ultra power 300W and one professional 550 w
I am very happy with nthem, I haven't had any problems I have the first three since 1988 no problems at all. I anly cream 1 pound of butter. With the professional i cream 2 pounds. I will suggest to buy one with the 300w or 350w motor. It a life investment my sister have one that is 42 years old. and is still in excelent conditions.

Mrs_Cupcake Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 9

I am also a hobby baker and I found my classic at Kohls on sale with coupons and my moms employee discount. I couldn't pass it up. It works great for what I do. I probably use it at least once a week. Someday I will trade it for a larger model.

klangl Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 9

I just have the KA classic, I am a hobby baker for friends and family, I bake at least 6 days a week, from cookies, breads, pies, cakes and whatever else, I have had my mixer for over 10 years, no problems its just keeps going and going (just jinxed myself, HUH) .. My dream is a Hobart.. My Mother offered me her professional KA when she was moving, but I hated it... To lift that bowl and drop down the mixer was a hassle to me. I'll stick with my classic for now until I get my Hobart which may be soon, my husband put a bid on one, some school auction in a small town is selling all the cafeteria equipment..

glow0369 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 9

I have the KA classic and the KA Arctitech love it...

HamSquad Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 9

I love my KAs, Classic and Professional 600. I'm a hobbyist with cake decorating. Hope to have a small business one day, I'm older now, less energy.

aprilismaius Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 9

I have a Professional 600 and Professional 6, both of which I purchased refurbished for less than the cost of a new Artisan or Classic. I've had the Professional 6 for about 15 years, no problems! Don't be afraid to try used and get a more powerful product.

Narie Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 9

A classic KA will more than likely do everything you could want. I have an old white classic from the mid 70"s. It does everything I want it to. You do have a limit as to how many cups of flour you can mix at one time, but if you are just baking for family and friends it is rare that you will need a larger machine. If you are confronted with the need to make extremely large amounts- like the 50 serving birthday cake, just make two batches.

Since the classic doesn't come in colors, to pretty up your mixer get one of the decal kits. My mixer is now covered with pink roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%