How Long Can My Cake Be Made/refrigerated Before Finishing?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 8:15pm by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 5

I have to make a bunch of half-sheets to torte so I was hoping to make them all this afternoon. I work alllllll day tomorrow so I was hoping to frost & decorate on Friday - and the party is Saturday. Will this work? It's not too far ahead is it? Also, could I go ahead and fill the cake with jam and assemble it today or should I wait until Friday? The cake is super moist and I"m afraid it will stick to whatever I wrap it in if I don't get it layered right away. But if that's not smart, then I'll deal with it. Looking for your experienced advice!!

icon_smile.gif

4 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 5

I always refrigerate my cakes. If I have a Saturday morning delivery I will have the cake completely finished (including decor) by Friday evening and keep in the fridge. If it's Saturday afternoon, I will have the cake frosted and in the fridge overnight to be taken out Saturday morning to finish decorating.

As long as your cake is covered in buttercream it can stay in the fridge a couple of days with no problems--it doesn't need to be wrapped.

The longest I will have a completely decorated cake in the fridge is usually just overnight. And I always deliver a cold cake so it can come to room temp slowly during the hours it sets out. If you have a lot of fondant decor it will usually develop condensation. But it will dry so don't touch it.

Some people put their completely decorated cake in the fridge in a box wrapped with plastic wrap and then let it come to room temp while still in the box to avoid the condensation issue. It's whatever works for you.

I freeze all my cakes first and then fill and crumb coat while still frozen and then keep them in the refrigerator. I have 2 orders in the freezer now. One is for this weekend...the other next weekend. It sure helps time management and they are always moist and delicious. And I know because I'm usually invited to all the events I supply the cakes for! HTH.

Wildgirl Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Carmijok -- so if I freeze the individual half-sheet cakes, the Friday I can take them and do the filling while still frozen (that would really help to stack the half-sheet cakes if they were frozen!!). Then can I let it set out until at room temp to frost? I may need to decorate it Friday also since Sat will be too busy for me....

Thank you!!!! This is helping SO MUCH!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 5

You don't have to wait to come to room temp to frost. Frost them frozen. At least put the crumb coat on. The cake will thaw while it's in the fridge and the crumb coat can harden and make the top coats go on much easier.

I use a real butter buttercream which is why I need the refrigerator a lot...and I layer my frosting on-- refrigerating between layers--until I don't see cake anymore. It's the way I learned at the bakery I worked for and it works fine for me. You have to put a BC dam around your filling anyway, right? Might as well crumb coat it too!

Wildgirl Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 5

Sounds good! Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%