Need Help/advice For Damask Cake Please!

Decorating By FabSteph Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 5:26pm by leah_s

FabSteph Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 3

I am suppose to make a damask style cake next month and upon doing a little researching seems there are different techniques out there. Does anyone have advice or suggestions on how or what techniques work best. Thanks for your help!

2 replies
EnglishCakeLady Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 3

I am stenciling a fondant covered cake for the first time this weekend, and I've put some practice in before hand. I'm using a stencil from Global Sugar Art and have been attaching it using medical tape (as per advice I've received!). I tried getting my husband to hold it, but he just ended up covered in royal icing. You can also put a thin layer of Crisco on your stencil to help it stick to the fondant, but

I'm using royal icing because it sets nice and hard and dries quite quickly. It's important to make sure your stencil lies perfectly flat against the side of the cake as the RI will leak under any gaps and leave a big blob. If the sides of my cake were not absolutely straight, I struggled. The stencil I used was higher than 4" (the height on my cake), so I had to cut a bit off the bottom of the stencil.

Use a smaller offset spatular to smear the RI on, and then use a straight scraper to take the excess off. It seems to work best to start in the middle and scrape in one direction then start in the middle again and scrape in the opposite direction. Life the stencil off slowly.

Next, make sure you wash and carefully dry your stencil before you use it again and make sure the RI is dry before you replace the stencil back on the cake. Make sure your first stencil is placed where you want the front of the cake to be, as it might not meet up exactly at the back.

I've read that some cakers like to use piping gel and this gives a lovely shiny effect, but I've not tried that. It looks great though.

If you're wanting to use BC on BC, I can't help you I'm afraid, this is the only technique I've tried! Make sure you put in a lot of practice before you tackle the actual cake!

leah_s Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 3

I'm not good at stenciling, plus it's a one-shot deal. I use cutters.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%