Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Like Indydebi's Bc?

Baking By love_my_soldier Updated 24 Aug 2016 , 4:09pm by woozy

love_my_soldier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love_my_soldier Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 64

I made my very first batch this morning after reading all the amazing reviews and believe that I followed the recipe to a T with all fresh ingredients (bought yesterday). The frosting is beautiful, but when I tasted it, all I taste is faintly sweet crisco. In fact, even after brushing my teeth I still have that crisco taste in my mouth HOURS later. Did I do something wrong? A few weeks ago I made a similar recipe that used butter in addition to the crisco and I liked it so much better. Thinking of adding butter to the bc when I get home tonight. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

63 replies
charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 64

sounds like your simply not partial to an all crisco based icing...some ppl use crisco and butter or all butter.. It's just a matter of taste.. Try different recipes and see which one suits you best. I've never tried that buttercream because I ice all my cakes in an Italian meringue buttercream.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 64

I actually don't care for it either. I have made it a couple of times because it holds up really well in hot weather but find that it is way too sweet for my taste.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 64

You can add popcorn salt to the powdered sugar to cut the sweetness. Another option is to add some additional flavoring into the wet ingredients.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 64

I love it for cupcakes where I'm piping it on. I can't smooth it, though. And I've been face to face with Indy and watched her work with it. She can smooth a cake in under a minute! ::shrugs::

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 64

I flavor it up (with that homemade mix of vanilla, butter, almond, lemon....light on the almond) and add fine sea salt (not idoized salt) My favourite is mousseline frosting but it's not practical in the heat of Southern summers. My clients LOVE, LOVE, LOVE indideby's BC so much so that I get specific requests for it. Guess it's all a matter of individual tastes but I have to say it's my go to BC

love_my_soldier Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 64

So, will adding the butter "save" it? I am still pretty new to baking, so changing recipies frighten me icon_redface.gif

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 64

I don't get complaints on it at all, but it's definitely not my favorite. Though seeing as how we're having a heat wave in TN right now with a heat index of 112 in the evenings (crazy high dring the day too) and humidity at 80%+ nothing else will hold up.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I love it for cupcakes where I'm piping it on. I can't smooth it, though. And I've been face to face with Indy and watched her work with it. She can smooth a cake in under a minute! ::shrugs::

This makes me sick...takes me forever to get a nice smooth even cake, even if my buttercream is nice and smooth in the bowl! GRR. haha.

I don't care for all-shortening buttercreams but you can salvage it with a bit of salt, and some high quality butter flavoring along with extra vanilla and a bit of almond. I've had to use it before for a child who was allergic to dairy and the extra flavorings helped a lot.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 64

I don't care for it, but I use it during the hot months. I just assume it's because I don't really care for buttercream. Though I do actually like the taste of the buttercream I use in the cooler months - it just turns into a melty mess in the heat. I currently mainly bake for family and close friends - the majority don't realize I use two different buttercreams. The handful of people who do notice, do prefer one over the other - but it's pretty equal - some prefer Indy's, while others prefer my other recipe. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 64

It's too sweet for me. But I think that's why some people like it so much. I have an uncle with a real sweet tooth, and he loves the "dream whip icing," which is what we've called it in our family since the 1970's when my grandma started making it.

I prefer to use hi ratio shortening or butter (or a combination) when making American style buttercream to avoid the aftertaste of Crisco.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I've had to use it before for a child who was allergic to dairy and the extra flavorings helped a lot.

For future reference: Dream Whip has dairy ingredients. Some people with milk allergies can handle a tiny amount. Others, like my DH, will have a severe reaction to the milk derivatives in Dream Whip.

I just thought you might want to know. icon_smile.gif

love_my_soldier Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 64

I am really showing my ignorance here, but what are you talking about when you say high quality butter flavoring...surely not the stuff you find in the popcorn isle...

momto2pottsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momto2pottsy Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:43pm
post #14 of 64

I love Indydebi's recipe. Only icing I use. I do add a little salt though to cut down the sweetness. However everyone loves it. I also like the taste better when I use butter vanilla emulsion. Love_my_soldier: when they are saying butter flavouring I think they mean a butter emulsion or LorAnn's oils in butter flavour. HTH!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:46pm
post #15 of 64

I make indy's bc with only 6 cups of powdered sugar + 1/2 tsp. of salt.
I also use 2Tb. + 1/2 tsp. of McCormick Vanilla, and I always make it a few days before it's needed because it's even better after it sits.

I love it made this way, as does everyone who has ever tasted it.

Just a side note...I purchased a 32oz. bottle of Neilsen-Massey vanilla that has almost no vanilla flavor, and reeks of rubbing alcohol.
I swear the supermarket stuff is more potent.

RachelMade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelMade Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:54pm
post #16 of 64

I made indydebi's buttercream once with store-brand shortening and got that greasy taste. I added real butter and it was delicious! So, yes, adding butter will fix it.

I made it again with Crisco because I read that indydebi only uses Crisco and it turned out great - no greasy feeling/taste, but it's too sweet for my liking.
Now, I kind of do a combination of recipes... like indydebi's recipe with much less sugar - 1 cup shortening to 1 pound sugar.

I also use vanilla, butter, and almond flavorings.
HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:59pm
post #17 of 64

I'm torn on her recipe. It seems overly sweet and really heavy. My customers seems to love it though. I do add some quality butter flavoring and a couple pinches of salt to make it less sweet. I love how easy it is to work with in all types of weather.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 7:14pm
post #18 of 64

...........changing recipies frighten me ............

Oh hon, you have GOT to get over that!!!!!!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Flavorings are very personal. They can change to suit you (or your customers) tastes.

Make up a mixture of flavorings to keep on hand and use 2x what most recipes call for.

I prefere the mixture of:
1 measure (can be *any measure* - teaspoon, cup, quart, whatever) of vanilla extract
1/2 measure of butter flavoring
1/4 measure of almond (OR any other flavor you like - lemon or orange or ??)

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 7:15pm
post #19 of 64

I didn't much care for the taste of it either, and I also struggled getting it smooth .. my go to icing is the buttercream dream icing recipe on here ..

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 7:23pm
post #20 of 64

I made it for the first time last week after reading all the rave reviews. I had hoped to use it during hot humid summer days but I actually didn't care for the mouth feel either (flavor was nice tho). My family rebelled and told me to go back to my tried and true (a recipe for crusting buttercream using half butter and half Crisco).

love_my_soldier Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 7:24pm
post #21 of 64

Well, I made the frosting for my first attempt at pina colada cupcakes, and I will be adding coconut rum to it, but once again, I have NO IDEA what I'm doing. I guess I'll be adding a Tbsp at a time and keeping my fingers crossed. I will update this post with my results, and maybe my first CC pics later tonight icon_smile.gif I't's just giving me hope that what I made this morning can be turned into something I enjoy!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 7:32pm
post #22 of 64

I use it but change it up a little. 1/2 butter 1/2 high ratio, high quality vanilla, and hot coffee creamer mixture from sugarshack's recipe. It's very creamy and I hace no problem smoothing it.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 7:40pm
post #23 of 64

I haven't tried hers yet, but I would like to.

I would invite you to try the one I've submitted that I got from another person. It's called Extra Special Buttercream Frosting and it's gotten rave reviews. It crusts beautifully (you can see how it is perfect for the papertowel background in some of my cakes. I'm not the world's best decorator as you can see, but I do bake for joy!)

It also holds up well in hot and humid weather.

love_my_soldier Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 7:55pm
post #24 of 64

I can't wait to try the different recipes being suggested! My hopes are to have some sort of cupcake business eventually and I am trying to find my own go to frosting.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:06pm
post #25 of 64

I LOVE this frosting! I have had people tell me "This icing is soooo good! I can't stand those icings that all you taste is Crisco". Then I tell them that I DO use Crisco and they are in shock! I add 1/2 tsp salt to the liquid and let it dissolve. I then add 2 Tablespoons vanilla, 1 1/2 tsp butter extract and 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract to the liquid after the salt has dissolved. I've tried other combinations of flavorings and this one is the best! icon_biggrin.gif

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:13pm
post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbeesbaking

I haven't tried hers yet, but I would like to.

I would invite you to try the one I've submitted that I got from another person. It's called Extra Special Buttercream Frosting and it's gotten rave reviews. It crusts beautifully (you can see how it is perfect for the papertowel background in some of my cakes. I'm not the world's best decorator as you can see, but I do bake for joy!)

It also holds up well in hot and humid weather.

This is the only one I use...LOVE IT as do those who have had my cakes!

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:17pm
post #27 of 64

I have used Indydebi's but, I can't get over getting it smooth enough, I always taste the grit of the dream whip. I have whipped for over 1 hour once, thinking, my KA would surely bite the dust on this recipe, I use it because the Heat and humidity is horrible here, But I really use my own recipe, it's similar just with added butter, minus the dream whip, I really just start dumping ingredients until it works out..no measuring for me..

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:24pm
post #28 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliecakes

sounds like your simply not partial to an all crisco based icing...some ppl use crisco and butter or all butter.. It's just a matter of taste.. Try different recipes and see which one suits you best. I've never tried that buttercream because I ice all my cakes in an Italian meringue buttercream.

I agree, I spent a day trying out all different recipes and techniques, figured out which one worked and tasted best for me and thats what I use.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:43pm
post #29 of 64

I actually have people who specifically ASK for this icing. I agree with the other posters who said "It's a matter of taste!"

Happy Baking!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:48pm
post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by love_my_soldier

So, will adding the butter "save" it? I am still pretty new to baking, so changing recipies frighten me icon_redface.gif

Adding more butter to the recipe will change the consistency and the crusting ability.

You can replace part of the crisco with butter when you make another batch.

Also, I saw in another post that you want to add liquor to it...use the liquor in place of the milk or water in the recipe. I usually use coconut emulsion and regular rum in my coconut rum frosting (I use Indy's recipe all the time...us Southern folks love us some achingly-sweet powdered-sugar crisco-buttercream icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%