Cake Freshness

Decorating By Cinico Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 2:02pm by FerrariGal

Cinico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinico Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 9

I usually start my baking on thursday and decorate friday and saturday! I was wondering if you all think It would be ok to start baking today(Wednesday) and tomorrow and decorate Friday, so that I can just deliver on Saturday!

8 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 9

Absolutely! I usually bake on Tuesday and freeze until Friday when I pull out to ice and decorate.

SpilledSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpilledSugar Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 9

A place where I used to work, we baked on Monday for Fri/Sat/Sun every week and kept them in the fridge. We soaked the cakes with simple syrup, so the cakes were always moist. I agree with VaBelle...I bake and freeze now too for the upcoming weekend. I still use simple syrup anyway, though.

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 1:22am
post #4 of 9

So when the simple syrup is applied to the cake (even if it is suppose to be used lightly), wouldn't the cake or the portions that are absorbed of the syrup turn soggy? And would you apply it?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 1:33am
post #5 of 9

I personally do not care for simple syrup in my cakes...I just try to use recipes that are naturally moist. But that is just my own preference. I know a lot of sponge cakes require syrup, but I just don't make sponge cake.

I always bake on Tuesday (occasionally before, if I'm really busy) and freeze...then...like this week, last night I took out one of my wedding cakes to thaw, and then decorated it today. It will stay refrigerated until its delivered on Friday. Another cake is thawing tonight, and will be decorated tomorrow and delivered Friday as well, for a Saturday wedding. Then I'll thaw one more and decorate it Friday for a Saturday wedding.

Anyway you definitely have an entire week to work on cakes without them getting old or stale, especially because you'll either have them wrapped....or filled and crumb coated/iced....so there is really no way for them to dry out.

SpilledSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpilledSugar Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:27am
post #6 of 9

No, they're not soggy at all, LOL. We would use a squirt bottle (like one you would use to sauce a plate) to lightly spray the cakes. I've worked at places where the don't soak the cakes and they taste like sandpaper. But that's 12, 15 cakes a week. If you're only doing a few wedding cakes a week or at home, then baking early and freezing works well. When I bake at home, that's what I do for my small events (farmer's market-type things). But then again, I'm slicing them up, boxing, and setting them out all day, so I can't take a chance on them drying out. Works fine for me.

Either way, you'll be saving yourself a headache starting early!

FerrariGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerrariGal Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:07am
post #7 of 9

I am like the OP and bake on Thursday. If I bake earlier and freeze, how long does it take to thaw the cake? And do I thaw it in the fridge or at room temp? Should the cake be frozen "as is" or filled and crumb coated?? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still learning!

LadySiren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadySiren Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks very much for posting this question - it's a good one.

I'm planning on baking and crumb coating on Thursday, decorating on Friday, and taking the cake to my three daughters' birthday party on Saturday. Will my cake hold up for the couple of days it takes to get it baked / decorated / transported?

I'm an utter cake newbie, so be gentle with me. icon_wink.gif

FerrariGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerrariGal Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 9

LadySiren that's usually my routine and they hold up fine. I am just starting to get busier and soon may not be able to keep it up. I will need to start earlier in the week in order to keep up, but don't want to sacrifice the quality of my cakes for quantity!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%