Frosting Question

Baking By melonball Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 6:24am by Marianna46

melonball Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:25am
post #1 of 2

Hi guys I'm new here.
I am currently in the process of setting up my cupcake business in the uk.
I've got about 45 flavours of cupcake but only a couple of different frostings!
A few months ago I brought a cupcake for research and the frosting was unlike any I'd tasted before, unfortunately I couldn't get back to ask what it was so hoping you can help!
I will describe as best I can
It was:
Raspberry & White chocolate
Gluten free (I'm not it just was)
Mousse like consistency
Exterior of frosting had dried out slightly to form slghty crust
Not overly sweet
No taste of butter or shortening or cream cheese

Any ideas? I was thinking it may be a marshmallow frosting.....

And a question for those already in the biz what frosting do you find people prefer? I prefer cream cheese.
Thanks for your help in advance[/url]

1 reply
Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:24am
post #2 of 2

It could have been boiled icing, which is basically egg whites, granulated sugar and vanilla beaten for 7 minutes over boiling water with a hand mixer (it's actually called Seven-Minute Icing, now that I think about it). It gets crusty on the outside but stays fluffy on the inside. Could this be it? It's rather an old-fashioned kind of icing. It was the only one my mother used to make (I'm talking about the 1950s here), but I haven't come across it in years. There's a recipe for it on the Wilton site and maybe even one here, I'm not sure. Oh, I forgot to ask - is the raspberry and white chocolate in the frosting or in the cupcake? This frosting can be tweaked to give different flavors, if it was actually in the frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%