Need A Crusting Strawberry Buttercream Recipe

Baking By sarascakecreations Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 2:16am by sarascakecreations

sarascakecreations Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 8

Hello,

So I need to make a strawberry buttercream for the first time and my current buttercream recipe I use is the wilton one with an addition of milk and a some butter extract.

So do I just go ahead and add some straberry jam? Or should I use a box of strawberry jell-o?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I've seen recipe's on here but how to choose? Maybe someone could post a good recipe they've used before?

It doesn't need to be super crusting but it's to go on vanilla cupcakes so I'd like the buttercream to hold up obviously.
Thanks!

7 replies
Aunt_Goose Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 12:28am
post #2 of 8

One time I was making a cake (the strawberry shaped one in my photos) and was suddenly all out of red gel color and my buttercream still wasn't the red red i wanted. I dumped two packets of strawberry koolaid mix into it, beat it in and let it sit for a little while for the color to deepen. It turned out colored wonderfully and had a nice strawberry taste to it (tho it was it bit tart!) end everyone really seemed to like it. I don't see why a box of strawberry jello wouldn't work just as well.

Elcee Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:30am
post #3 of 8

I just replace the liquid in my regular buttercream with pureed, strained strawberries. I just made some today, as a matter of fact for my DH's birthday tomorrow; it's his favorite with chocolate cake icon_smile.gif. I use a modified version of Wilton's buttercream.

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 lb. confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup lukewarm milk (in this case, replace with the strawberries)
1 tbs. meringue powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

If you want, add a drop or 2 of pink food color to intensify the color a it.

sarascakecreations Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 2:33am
post #4 of 8

elcee... ok so I take 1/4 cups of fresh strawberries, puree them and strain them and add them instead of the milk then?

thanks ladies!

anyone else?

Elcee Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:53am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarascakecreations

elcee... ok so I take 1/4 cups of fresh strawberries, puree them and strain them and add them instead of the milk then?

thanks ladies!

anyone else?

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer. Today, I used frozen strawberries just because it's what I had on hand. I think it took about 1/2 a cup; I ran them in my blender and strained them into a measuring cup until I had enough liquid. And yes, add it instead of the milk.

sarascakecreations Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 8

Ok thanks, 1 more question, how long do you think this type of buttercream will hold in the fridge?

Elcee Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 8

Several days would be my best guess but I don't know for sure.

sarascakecreations Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:16am
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much gonna try it tomorrow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%