Chocolate Ganache Virgin....quick Question

Baking By DH2008 Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 2:18pm by CAC74

DH2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DH2008 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 6

ok, so im gonna make a 70th Bday cake for my FIL this weekend & want to try the poured ganche over a strawberry cake. Been checking on some recipes here & have seen where some use choc chips & another says do not use baking choc but high quality choc & break it up. Also, heavy cream & butter right? What is your no fail choc you guys use for this? Milk, dark, semi sweet? Thanks!

5 replies
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 6

Good quality dark chocolate is my favorite. As for chocolate chips bought in the grocery store - Ghiradelli 60%, melt well. I find white chocolate difficult to get smooth.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 6

I generally use dark chocolate. I've read that chocolate chips don't always work well, but I've never tried them, so I couldn't tell you. It's a good idea to grate it before you melt it so that it melts evenly - chocolate is very temperature-sensitive, so you don't want one part to overheat before other parts have even gotten soft. I usually melt it in the microwave in 20-second bursts and stir it after every time. I will confess that I've also made a mean ganache with candy melts, although I know some would lynch me for this!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 6

Best recipe I found in Southern Living magazine. It's easy and delicious.

1 -12 ounce pkg, semi-sweet choc chips ( Nestle Toll House or any real chocolate)
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
3 TBL butter

Heat the whipping cream until almost scalded, take off the heat, stir in the chocolate chips until melted then whisk in the butter until melted. Let it cool for 20 minutes and then you can either use it to drip off your cake (I put mine in a bottle and go around the edges of a cake) depending on how it's running out, you might want to let it cool further.
OR you can put it in your mixer and whip it with your whisk attachment until it whips into a delicious whipped ganache. (this takes awhile...look for soft peaks). I use that for filling all the time. You can see some of my ganache cakes in my photos. They're all done using this recipe.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 6

Hi, carmijok, I see you DO use chocolate chips - good to know, because I'd like to try it. I love your signature line, by the way - something many of us could take to heart (and I do mean me!).

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 6

LIKE!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%