2tsp. Baking Powder
1/4tsp. Salt
3 Egg Whites (whipped to soft peaks)
1C. Sugar
8TBS room temperature Butter
3 Egg Yolks
1tsp. Vanilla
1C. Milk

***Mix dry ingredients, set aside. Cream butter and sugar. Mix in egg yolks and then vanilla. Add remaining ingredients alternating 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 additions of milk. Fold in egg whites.

What I got was a separated gross looking mess! I tried to bake it anyway and it came out flat and had the texture of a wet sponge thumbsdown.gif I usually use a modified box mix, so this is somewhat new territory for me. Does anyone know what I could have done wrong?

Thanks,
Liz

3 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 12:24am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerliz

I usually use a modified box mix, so this is somewhat new territory for me. Does anyone know what I could have done wrong?

Thanks,
Liz

You made a very difficult scratch recipe your first time out. Try finding a basic butter recipe that does not have whipped egg whites folded in and no graham cracker crumbs. Practice on that until you get a nice looking cake and the art of scratch baking perfected.

And you probably got this off of some blog some where that was a modified recipe. The person got lucky and posted it and now you are trying to replicate. It doesn't always work out well that way, too many variables.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:37am
post #3 of 4

Folding in egg whites can be tricky.... If you're too enthusiastic, you wind up deflating the egg whites and wind up with cake pancakes. icon_sad.gif

Easy S'more cake recipe:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/smores-cake/e0cebca4-0ece-4267-b3e4-aa4c2de43d0d

http://www.food.com/recipe/smores-cake-167220

HTH

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for the alternate recipes. I'm going to try one of those and come back to this when I have more time to mess around with it. Thanks Again!

*Sorry for the misplaced post*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%